bulk Import PDF as site with attachments

Magnus Siebert May 5, 2013

Hi everyone,

is there a way to import a big bulk of Dokuments (mostly PDFs, but also some pictures and word-documents) as sites with attachments?

We have a big knwolegebase located on a network drive (about 300 Folders and 10k Files) and I want to import that into one Space in Conlfuence (5.0.3). Folder-name = site-name and all files from the particular Folder attached to the site with original Names would be great.

Is there way to do that? A Plugin? Perhaps anykind of script (API, CLI, etc.) I could use to automate that?

Any Script that handles with similar Problems, which I could customize, would help me too.

Hope someone can help me

thank you already in advance

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

Magnus,

You may want to take a look at the WebDav integration point with Confluence.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+a+WebDAV+client+for+Confluence

Uploading that many attachments to Confluence is likely not the best idea. Confluence is not designed to be a fileserver. With Webdav you get the best of the both worlds. Files remain in their current location, which is hopefully some quick file server, and the files are accessible from Confluence.

Magnus Siebert May 6, 2013

Thanks for your answer, I will have a look at that.

But there is something else I think about now:

Of course I know that Conlfuence is no DMS or something like that, but are there any guidelines on how much content and especially attachments Conlfuence can handle?

What would happen If would upload that 10k files (about 15GB)? Would it crash or just slow it down?

0 votes
Magnus Siebert August 18, 2013

Hi,
I used the WebDAV-Integration in combination with a small vb-script.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+a+WebDAV+client+for+Confluence

Using WebDAV for Import is pretty easy. The folder-hierachy will be adopted by the site-hierachy of Confluence. The foldername is automaticly the new sitename and all documents (pdf, doc,...) will be safed as attachments. Note that if the new content all goes to one Space there can not be 2 or more folders with the same name. Also folders and/or files with "+" or "&" in its name can t be imported over WebDAV.
The vb-script I mentioned was used to clean up the file- and foldernames and to get different txt-files into the imported folders. If you put an txt-file ,with wiki-markup in it, into a folder ,with the exact same Name as the txt, it will become the template for the new site.

Gregory Levine March 29, 2018

Hi Magnus -

Question looking back at this need you had (I realize its 4-5 years ago now)....

Did you also have a need to map a permissions set to the content you were bringing in to Confluence? If yes, how did you manage that?

I have thousands and thousands of PDF's I need to import AND match a global permissions set to all of the content for many different user types (If you are 'x' you can see 'y', etc.)

Thanks.

Greg

0 votes
Oliver Schreckenbach August 15, 2013

Hello Magnus,

can you tell me how you finally managed the migration? WebDAV, Remote API or something even better?

I have nearly the same task to do. We are migrating from lotus notes to confluence and i am looking for the most convenient way to import a huge load of small pdfs and attachments into confluence.

The files are sorted hierarchically in folders and this hierarchy must be kept.

No preference on wether the result is pure HTML converted from the pdfs or a Wicci template with attached original pdf file.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2013

If don't want to just use the drag and drop, these are some options for you.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/CONFDEV/Confluence+Remote+API+Reference

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events