It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

attaching multiple files with same name

Hi All, 

I am looking to upload DIFFERENT files with same name but it keeps creating new versions of it due to name being the same.  Is there anyway to alter this behaviour have have either: auto unique rename or an alert if a version of file already exists?

2 answers

3 votes
Dominic Lagger Community Leader Mar 10, 2020

Hi @Aqib_sherwani 

This is an extract from the documentation

If you upload a file with the same name as an existing attachment on the same page, Confluence will overwrite the existing attachment. Version history is kept for all attachments. See Manage Filesto find out more. 

Any changes you make to the source file will not affect the copy that was uploaded to Confluence. To update the Confluence copy, you need to upload the new version of the file.

So, there is no option to change this behaviour. 

Why you want to do this?

Regards, Dominic

Not to hijack but I have some examples of why I'd want this.

Use case 1:

As a designer, I want to upload images to Confluence to solicit feedback.

As a designer, I want to update designs to the same file locally but keep a visual history of all changes on the Confluence page.

As a designer, I don't want to keep renaming a file locally just so it doesn't get overwritten on Confluence.

Use case 2:

As a designer, I want to upload screenshots taken with Skitch.

• Skitch has saved the screenshots with the same name since they were taken from the same window

As a designer, I want all of my screenshots to appear as different images, not overwrite each other.

Having a system that either warns if you have the same filename being uploaded, renames the used files automatically or just allow multiple uploads with the same filename would be immensely helpful to some of us.

Like YJ Huang likes this
Dominic Lagger Community Leader Apr 16, 2020

Hi @Sara Nicholson 

Use case 1:

If you upload a file, the "old" file isn't gone. Every attachment has it's own history. 

Use case 2:

I'm not aware, that there's a plugin which could display every version of an attachment. If you are on server, I'm sure it would be possible to write an user macro, which would display every version of an attachment.

Regards, Dominic

This is expected behaviour. 

If you want multiple files attached rather than multiple versions of the same file, give them different names.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

7,071 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you