add metadata to a confluence page which is generated from word

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 21, 2011

Hi,

We have a bunch of word documents which we would like to convert to wiki pages.
In addition, we need to add some metadata to these pages (such as topic, quality, ...) such that these can be classified in some way. We don't want to use labels, as these are too free form.

Any idea how we can tackle this ?

Thanks

Francis

2 answers

0 votes
Rian Rian November 7, 2011

I'm using the metadata plugin to add metedata in a similar situation, and I am finding it has many useful capabilities (and a few problems, too).

That doesn't solve your other problem: importing content from Word in such a way that the marcos aren't "escaped" ("{color:red}" becomes "\{color:red\}"so that you have to go in to each page and unescape them.

This is a workaround for that:

-- add all the macros you want to use to your Word documents.

-- Save each of your Word documents as a text file.

-- Put the text files in some directory on the Confluence server. (Best to create one especially for them.)

-- Go to the space you want to import the pages into and go to "Space Admin" (assuming you have the permissions to do so).

-- Click "Import Pages from Disk" (last choice in the left menubar).

-- Use this mechanism to import the text files. Each one will become a new Confluence page in the space, with all macros intact.

The problem I'm dealing with now is that these pages are NOT imported as children of the home page -- if you want them to show up in the normal space hierarchy, you have to move them manually. (Of course, maybe someone wiser than I has a workaround for that -- anybody?)

0 votes
Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2011

Hi Francis,

For the import you can use the bundled Office Connector plugin, documentation can be found here: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Importing+an+Office+Document+into+Confluence . I'm affraid there's no bulk import/API that can be scripted - no experience in this field.

For the classification problem can I suggest to take a look at the Metadata plugin (https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/META/Confluence+Metadata+Plugin) which will help to add metadata to the pages like title, creation date etc. It is possible to generate reports based on these values, I also thought they were indexed to enable easy searching.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events