Yellow Administration Banner in Confluence

Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2012

The yellow banner in Confluence that says:

You have temporary access to administrative functions. Drop access if you no longer require it. For more information, refer to the documentation.

REALLY ANNOYS ME!

I do lots of Confluence Admin and I am in and out all the time.

I don't want to drop admin access just to log in again in 2 minutes just to get rid of the banner.

How do I turn this "helpful" banner OFF?

4 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2012

Do you just want to hide the banner, or do you want to turn off having to re-enter your password in the administrator console entirely?

The latter is easy - you can disable Confluence's Secure Administrator Sessions feature by following our documentation - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Configuring+Secure+Administrator+Sessions

The former can be achieved 'easily' by injecting some overriding CSS styles into your Confluence instance that force the banner to be hidden - if you need to some help working out the correct style to apply, just holler :-)

Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2012

HOLLER!! :)

I would like to turn off the banner. I don't mind the logins - I appreciate the security - the banners are just unnecessary and annoying given the overlap they create.

Any instructions you can provide to remove the banner would be much appreciate and (not that you need them) a quick 50 karma points for you ... every point counts when your on your way to 10K though right :)

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2012

You can add this to your instance's Custom HTML at the end of the head:

<style type="text/css">
#confluence-message-websudo-message
{
    display: none !important;
}
</style>

This will hide the banner when you're outside of the admin console, but unfortunately won't hide it when you're within the admin console (custom HTML is not applied to the admin console to reduce the chances of you locking yourself out of your own instance).

If you really wanted to get rid of it in the admin console, you could build Confluence from source and remove the banner or write a plugin to include the CSS in the admin console (using a web-resource module).

Like # people like this
Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2012

AWESOME!

That did the trick. I am not so worried about inside the admin console. Thanks for the help!!!

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2012

Just because it's Friday, and I was looking for something to do, here's a plugin to hide the yellow banner across all pages (including the admin console). Download the binary here and source code here.

Like Arthur SALMON likes this
Michael Roff
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 1, 2012

Too good Joseph!! Thanks.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2012

No worries, mate! It's the little things that count :-)

Wiljanden July 19, 2017

Hi @Joe Clark I tried to install the plugin, but I did not observe the version of your plugin, I used version 5.9, and I get a message now, so update to version 5.10.8, but it is not removed, you know how I can Remove this (in version 5.10.8 no longer appears the yellow bar).

Captura_confluence.JPG

You have any idea to help me on this topic. Thank you very much in advance.

Captura_confluence2.JPG

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2017

There was a formatting error in my code example - use < and > instead of &lt; and &gt;

Wiljanden July 19, 2017

Thanks You! Great @Joe Clark 

0 votes
Carolyn Moore May 19, 2014

I think the burden should be on Atlassian to enable a user to turn this feature off. After all, I am using the "paid" version of the app; I should not be subject to unwanted marketing messages. These are not merely account status or downtime notices. IMHO Atlassian is exploiting access to my workspace to spam me with sales and product info. I don't think this practice would hold up under scrutiny against compliance to marketing communication best practices.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2014

Hi Carolyn,

As far as I know this question is about the "temporary access to administrative functions" banner, which is a security feature in Confluence.

I'm personally not aware of the sales and marketing banners that you are seeing. Could you please show some screenshots of what you are seeing? You can upload them here or email me (jclark @ atlassian.com) if you'd prefer.

Kind regards,
Joe

0 votes
SteveM May 18, 2014

What about where I am using an on demand instance

Carolyn Moore May 19, 2014

Same issue here - how do I turn these off? It is annoying and intrusive to have my workspace spammed with the same messages again and again. And it is spam - I did not opt in and I cannot opt out

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2014

I don't think there is any way you can customize this if you are using an OnDemand instance. In this case, maybe you could look at using a browser extension like GreaseMonkey to just hide the banner on your browser?

0 votes
Mohamed Alikhan March 4, 2014

Joseph - this was the first plugin i installed but it didnt work. Do something!!! Its really annoying from the minute I logged into Jira.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
March 4, 2014

Hi Mohamed, the plugin I built is for Confluence, not for JIRA. Try this solution instead: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/81203/is-there-a-way-to-hide-the-administration-banner-in-jira

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events