Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong styles used in the TOC

Mauro Molinari August 29, 2013

Is there a reason or am I making any mistake for which I see my TOC with wrong styles for some of the paragraph titles? See, for instance, 2.2.1, 2.3 or 3..

I carefully checked my document but I couldn't find any special for those headers: they are normal lines with one of the Header style applied, like all the other paragraph titles...

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

I found a workaround. Elaborating on Mick's suggestion, I did some more tests on the formatting of those headings. The first thing that I discovered was that if I removed the Heading 1 style from paragraph 3. title ("Requisiti dettagliati"), that line, alghough becoming a Paragraph line, still displayed with a huge font size (compared to the standard Paragraph font size). I don't know how that was even possible, since I'm using the plain Confluence editor (so, neither HTML nor wiki markup written directly) and I don't even find a way to augment the font size with this editor...

Than, I found out the "Clear formatting" option in the "More" decoration button and applied it on my heading and... voilà! Now the TOC is rendered correctly!

Thanks for your help!

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2013

Mauro, excellent, well done!

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2013

Mauro,

Can you access the HTML in Edit mode? If so, have a look at that too. I've found that sometimes the HTML goes wrong and if you edit it, everything looks as you want it too. This might be a bit of a long shot though. You can access it using the <> button in the tpo right corner of a page.

Cheers.

Hi Mick,

I actually tried to have a look at the HTML code some days ago, but I must confess I didn't go into it thoroughly, because I found it very verbose and nothing evident drew my attention.

If it happens again, I may try to look at it more carefully, so that I might understand how to reproduce this issue.

Thanks again!

0 votes
Amalia
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2013

Have you tried clearing customization? I'd recommend doing this in a test instance though, or perform a database backup before proceeding.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2013

Mauro,

I've had this too, the problem was being caused by the formatting applied to the heading. IE, in my case, someone had added BOLD to a heading. The TOC macro picked this up and rendered the bold as well as the standard formatting and this was all displayed in the TOC.

I'd check that before getting too involved in more complex ideas.

Cheers.

Thanks Mick! I also thought about having bold applied, but this is not the case. I double checked right now and I confirm bold is not there. I also have tried to "reset" the heading by adding + removing bold, or by removing + readding the Heading style, with no luck...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events