Word macro auto update table of content fields

Daniel Sirb November 19, 2019

Hello,

I have some documents that are exported from an application using a third party document helper. The problem is that these documents have table of content which is calculated when the document opens(it will prompt the user asking if he wants to update the fields in the document) - this is because when generating the Word document, the pages are not know until the document is opened. This is also an option within Word itself related to table of contents.

If I upload this document automatically and apply a word macro on it, the table of content will not be visible in the page. Is there a way for this to work in Confluence, so that it updates the fields when applying the macro, or something similar?

Thanks,

Daniel

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2019

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for contacting us about this.

I'm not sure I follow. It sounds like you want Confluence will be able to generate a table of contents based on the headings in a Word Document. Am I understanding correctly that there is not currently a table of contents and you want it to be generated on-the-fly when you automatically upgrade the document?

I'm not aware of anything in Confluence that can accomplish that. You can Import Word Documents into Confluence directly as a page, and headings can be automatically created. Then you can even use the Table of Contents macro to display a Table of Contents based on the headings. I'm not sure how you would automate that, but perhaps it can give you a head start?

You can also have a look at Marketplace in case there are any add-ons that might help you with the task.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events