Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word Import & Fonts

Donna Marr January 18, 2021

When importing a word file into Confluence, the font of the documents changes to the default of the page font. Is there a way to import so that the font and formats of the document show apples to apples on the page upon import? I do notice that color of font converts but font type and size are not. 

4 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2021

Short answer is no. Server and data center allow for customizing the CSS at the space and global levels. Cloud does not. Sign on to watch this issue. CONFCLOUD-36137 . But note that this issue has been open for 8 years.

Thanks for the reply but bummer. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2021

Hi @Donna Marr ,

welcome to the community.

Confluence does neither support different fonts nor different font sizes, the option next close to this is to choose the paragraph style. This makes it possible to format a header for example. Next to this, only font colors are supported.

So this makes it easy to get and understand the content, even over different spaces and authors without having a different look on every page.

This restrictions apply also to the word import, so this is not supported there also.

Thanks for the quick reply! Is there a way in page settings to set specifics for headers and sub-header formats? Maybe at the admin level? Understood now that the import of word font will default to the page font. However it would be great if I could configure what that default font will be across all pages.

1 vote
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Donna Marr  In one of our wiki spaces at work (data center), a previous wiki admin had set up a space to use a specific font. This involved uploading the font files to a wiki page, then setting parameters in the space's stylesheet to use the font for specific HTML elements. 

I don't know if this capability is in Cloud.

Here's what the previous admin had in the stylesheet, in case it helps you. I don't understand all of it myself nor can I vouch for the validity/correctness of the CSS. The SpecialFont is the name of the particular font and the 00000000 represents the page ID where the font was attached. At some point the font settings were causing some latency in the display of pages so I went back to using the default fonts.

/*typography.css: Default File*/
/*Importing hps-latin-e-core*/

/*REGULAR*/
@font-face {
  font-family: 'SpecialFont';
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-eot.eot");
  /* IE9 compat */
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-eot.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-woff.woff") format("-woff.woff"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-ttf.ttf") format("truetype");
  /*iOS, Android, Safari*/
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal; }

/*BOLD*/
@font-face {
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-eot.eot");
  /* IE9 compat */
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-eot.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-woff.woff") format("-woff.woff"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-ttf.ttf") format("truetype");
  /*iOS, Android, Safari*/
  font-weight: bold;

/*LIGHT*/
@font-face {
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-eot.eot");
  /* IE9 compat */
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-eot.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-woff.woff") format("-woff.woff"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-ttf.ttf") format("truetype");
  /*iOS, Android, Safari*/

/*REGULAR ITALIC*/
@font-face {
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-italic-eot.eot");
  /* IE9 compat */
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-italic-eot.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-italic-woff.woff") format("-woff.woff"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-regular-italic-ttf.ttf") format("truetype");
  /*iOS, Android, Safari*/
  font-style: italic; }

/*BOLD ITALIC*/
@font-face {
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-italic-eot.eot");
  /* IE9 compat */
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-italic-eot.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-italic-woff.woff") format("-woff.woff"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-bold-italic-ttf.ttf") format("truetype");
  /*iOS, Android, Safari*/

/*LIGHT ITALIC*/
@font-face {
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-italic-eot.eot");
  /* IE9 compat */
  src: url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-italic-eot.eot?#iefix") format("embedded-opentype"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-italic-woff.woff") format("-woff.woff"), url("/confluence/download/attachments/00000000/latin-e-light-italic-ttf.ttf") format("truetype");
  /*iOS, Android, Safari*/

/*Importing typography-western*/
body, input {
  font-family: SpecialFont, Arial, sans-serif; }

body { font-size: 100%; }

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
  font-family: SpecialFont, Arial, sans-serif; }

h1, h2, h3 {
  font-weight: bold; }

h1 {
font-size: 32px;
  font-size: 2rem;
  /*=32px*/
  line-height: 32px;
  line-height: 3rem;
  /*=32px*/
  margin-bottom: 9px;
  margin-bottom: 0.5625rem;
  /*=9px*/ }

h2 {
  font-size: 24px;
  font-size: 1.5rem;
  /*=24px*/
  line-height: 30px;
  line-height: 2rem;
  /*=30px*/
  margin-bottom: 5px;
  margin-bottom: 0.3125rem;
  /*=5px*/ }

h3 {
  font-size: 20px;
  font-size: 1.25rem;
  /*=20px*/
  line-height: 24px;
  line-height: 1.875rem;
  /*=24px*/
  margin-bottom: 5px;
  margin-bottom: 0.3125rem;
  /*=5px*/ }

h4, h5, h6 {
  font-size: 16px;
  font-size: 1rem;
  /*=16px*/
  line-height: 18px;
  line-height: 1.5rem;
  /*=18px*/ }

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2021

That is the issue. You have zero control over the CSS in the Cloud.

Like Michelle Rau good likes this
Donna Marr January 20, 2021

Thanks @Michelle Rau good and @Bill Bailey  It does seem that the challenge is with Cloud capabilities. I will eagerly monitor new Cloud functionality releases and am hopeful that maybe there will be an evolution of CSS allowances, etc. In the meantime, I give the thumbs up to this community site, as the quick responses have saved me from progressing down any frustrating paths! 

Like # people like this
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2021

you are welcome. It is useful to know that you can't do something before you invest a lot of time. I wish this forum existed when I started working with Confluence.

0 votes
Matt Reiner _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2021

Hey @Donna Marr

I just saw @Michelle Rau good recent article and thought it might be handy. She breaks down what is, and isn't, imported.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-articles/Michelle-s-quot-Five-Stages-of-Word-Import-quot-Survival-Guide/ba-p/1584915

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Thanks Matt for sharing this here, its a great article. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events