Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Server or CentOS?

jiraguy October 17, 2012

Is there an advantage to using CentOS over Windows for my JIRA/confluence servers O/S or would it work fine with either?

Cheers!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

It would work fine on both. You can select the one you or your company is more comfortable with.

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms for the list of supported platforms.

0 votes
LuizA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

From Confluence side is the same thing, if you need to check what is supported for Confluence in terms about platforms you can check this another link (very similar to the one that was posted but for Confluence):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Supported+Platforms

In addition, just a comment about my experience with Confluence I have used for 1 year with Windows and no problems, now I'm using with Linux and everything is working pretty good, Confluence is awesome.

Cheers,

LJ.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2012

You should use which ever your organisation is most familiar with to be fair.

I'd always choose CentOS over Windows myself, because it's better supported, far easier to configure and maintain, cheaper, faster and more stable. I've never had significant OS related problems running Atlassian software on Unix based machines, but wasted vast amounts of time trying to run them on Windows boxes (not because of the software, the faults were invariably down to Windows problems, configuration or bugs).

But,that's just my experience. If you're a Windows server oriented organisation, it probably isn't worth a huge battle to try something new, especially if you've got server experts you can ask the difficult questions of (just don't let them say "it must be the software" - it rarely is)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events