Will a disabled user still be taking up a license?

John l August 14, 2012

I read another Q/A here which said that disabling a user should free their license so that a new user can be added. However after deleting a user who was already disabled I noticed that under "license details" the number of users under "signed up currently" went down by one. So it appears that even when disabled a user is still using a license. Is this correct?

Link to the other question thread:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/25543/delete-wiki-user

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

Hi John,

A deactivated user shouldn't take up a license slot, as per our document on the subject: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Viewing+and+Editing+License+Details#ViewingandEditingLicenseDetails-UnderstandingtheusercountforyourConfluencelicense

It is possible that the user was still visible in an Active Directory or still had the Can Use permission somehow, but if not then you should open a ticket with Support so that we can investigate whether this is a bug or not.

All the best,
John

John l August 14, 2012

I tried disabling a different user and this time it did free up a license like it should. I don't know if it was a glitch or human error but it seems to be working now. Thanks!

3 votes
AlysonA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

John,

Sometimes a change might not reflect immediately. If that happens again, simply go to Confluence Admin > Cache Statistics and flush it all. :)

2 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

Hi.

Actually, Confluence take into account for the license all users with "can use" permissions, whether they are enabled or not. To make an user not to count for your license just remove it from all groups with "can use".

There is actually a bug, CONF-24969, for the issue with disabling users.

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

Judging from the behavior description here:

I tried disabling a different user and this time it did free up a license like it should. I don't know if it was a glitch or human error but it seems to be working now. Thanks!

It seems that the users that still counted as a licensed users even if its duplicate have a duplicate in another directory which still have "Can-use" permission. This is actually a bug in Confluence which is describe here:

We provided a workaround in a published knowledge base article here:

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events