Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiki Markup - How to Correctly Link to A Page, Create Page Tree in Sidebar

Sean Duff January 14, 2022

Trying to include Wiki Markup in our sidebar. 

And I have several questions:

1. When creating a link to another page, according to this article: 

Confluence Wiki Markup | Confluence Data Center and Server 7.11 | Atlassian Documentation

It says to include the link within square brackets. But just doing

[page]

does not work. It needs to be a hyperlink, but then of course, we also don't want the actual hyperlink to be the text that shows up in the sidebar either.

[https://confluence.atlassian.com/conf711/confluence-wiki-markup-1044781498.html]

How can we link to a page with the page title being what's displayed in the Sidebar using Wiki Markup?

2. How can you create a Page Tree using Wiki Markup? 

page-tree-01.png

This is not a list or a set of headings with indentations. Each Page Tree item needs to be 'expandable', where, after one is clicked, it reveals a set of sub-menu items. Is this possible in Confluence Wiki Markup? 

3. Also, when I enter the Wiki Markup here in Space Tools here:

space-tools-entry-01.png

and hit save, the Sidebar Content gets inserted below what's already there - but it does not replace it. 

sidebar-after-wiki-markup-01.png

And lastly for whatever reason, the links are not showing up properly. Is the format not [text][url] ? (Related to the first part of my question).

Thanks

*EDIT* - I was able to figure out how to enter a link properly. It's [text|url].

So that's [ text | url ]. That fixes my first issue and part of the third. Now I'm wondering where those little green arrows are coming from. If there's a way to get rid of them? And still, the original content remains above all of my Wiki Markup. And lastly, the images are not aligned vertically with the Links. We could fix this with some CSS but I'm not sure if you can add CSS here?

space-tools-updated-01.png 

2 answers

1 vote
DJ Chung
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2022

Hi @Sean Duff - I'm a product manager on Confluence Cloud. Your question is for Confluence Server, but I wanted to pass along the Confluence Wiki Markup documentation in case you haven't already seen it: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-wiki-markup-251003035.html

This may be helpful for you. Also, I'm tagging this question with "confluence-server".  

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi @Sean Duff 

Good one!! 

Have you tried giving the name for the link while you are adding it in space shortcuts, that's pretty much it.

Don't go with wiki, simple configuration is enough when adding links in space shortcuts

Sean Duff January 14, 2022

Where do I go to add a link to Space Shortcuts? I was not involved in the creation of that part. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events