Wide table gets cutoff in PDF

I have a relatively wide table that displays fine in Confluence and in an HTML export. However, when I export to PDF, serveral columns get cutoff. There is no horizonatal scroll bar; when I widen the window, the text grows in size.

I am using Confluence on-demand. Are there any workarounds or configuration settings I can make?

7 answers

1 accepted

I guess I'll have to get an on-premise instance; there are too many things for which I need plug-ins that only work on-premise.

Hello,

when the table is too wide for the PDF, it gets cut off. How it looks in HTML and PDF is often different.

All you can do, is try to make the table smaller:

1. check for anything that bloats the table cell (long words that don't break, images, etc.)
  2. change the font size in table cells (try to make it smaller to have the text consume less space)
  3. check for the CSS setting of table-layout (if it is "auto" or "fixed")
  4. change the table completely (more length, less width)

In other words:

No workaround! Just the possibility for small adjustments.
What is possible with on-demand, I don't know: Probably you can't do anything that requires access to the PDF export stylesheet (that would be 3 and perhaps 2).

Hi Robert,

we've a page in our documentation regarding the handling of wide tables: https://www.k15t.com/display/PDF/How+Can+I+Deal+with+Wide+Tables

Altough this docs are written for our Scroll PDF Exporter which isn't available for OnDemand yet (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-4869), you could try the mentioned workaround (similar to Steffen's tipps), but maybe a bit more detailed.

Cheers,
Nils

Problem I have is that however small table I make, Confluence expands it and cuts off last column regardless. This happens even if I set Fixed width instead of Responsive. There is literary no way for me to export the document except making screenshots of my browser and then creating document in another software composed of those images. I don't find that very productive.

As a workaround you cant try to export to PDF with Table Filter macro.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-34390

See comment by Tom Simm

... menu, View Source

Then use your browser's print menu to save it as a PDF.

Have Confluence change the generated PDF by adding a 'PDF Export Stylesheet'. The one below can be used:

@page
{
/*A4-sized pages in landscape orientation are 297 mm wide by 210 mm long*/
size: 297mm 210mm;
}

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Confluence

What are the resources that you use to learn more about Atlassian Products?

I am gathering information about resources available for Atlassian product knowledge transferring for a presentation in our local Atlassian User Group. I want to group them in four categories From ...

159 views 5 7
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you