Why is there a delay before typed chars display in the editor when Confluence is hosted off site?

Helen OBoyle October 31, 2019

I'm trying to understand what's going on under the hood with Confluence editor, in terms of which keystrokes and mouse actions cause server round trips from clients, and what might be going wrong when editor responsiveness to user input (keystrokes, mouse clicks) is slow.

I've used Confluence on the corporate LAN for a few years. It's not the best in terms of performance but it is basically usable from a response time issue unless large tables are being edited. That is, I can type and there is hardly a delay between the time I type a character and the time I see it on screen.

Now my employer will be rationalising a bunch of local Confluence servers into one hosted in a different region. My testing (using a recent laptop running Windows 10 and Chrome  77.0.3865.120, on a wired corporate network, FYI) indicates that there can be a noticeable delay between the time a character is typed in the editor and the time it appears on screen when accessing the new server on the other side of the planet. (Sometimes it is sub-second but slow enough to cause me to mistype, and at other times it can be 2-3 seconds.) Additionally, when I scroll and attempt to mouse-click to start typing in a new location, there is a multi-second delay in the mouse click registering.

Is there that much round-tripping in the editor, causing latency to be a major factor? Or is something else going on?

Surely others have hit a similar issue in the past.... in your experience, how can this best be improved?

3 answers

1 vote
Olav May 29, 2020

We are experiencing the same.

Confluence Cloud is terribly slow and this has gotten worse over the last 12 months. At times it hardly possible to type in even the simplest text-documents.

This is not an issue with any other tools we use and there is no difference whether using Edge or other Browsers.

Will start looking for alternatives.

1 vote
luis.cipriani May 7, 2020

The same happens in Confluence Cloud and it's insanely frustrating. I'm 100% sure is not browser or network related, it's just the low quality product Atlassian has been delivering for years.

The only way to improve is not using Confluence, because I never get any reply from my feedbacks.

0 votes
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

@Helen OBoylethere can be multiple factor responsible of this,

1. Browser is under load
    1. This is very common for Chrome on Windows
    2. Reason for this can be,
      1. You can multiple tabs open
      2. Some Javascript is miss-behaving in Confluence (memory leak etc.)
    3. As a resolution,
      1. Restart system and validate, by opening only Confluence.
  2. Site is under load,
    1. Confluence has made a great deal of effort for collaborative editing using Synchrony (https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-synchrony-858772125.html)
    2. But this causes load on server (as number of request to server have increased)
    3. For this, I suggest you check memory settings on your confluence server
    4. Also, check if situation improves by disabling Synchrony.
  3. Slow network,
    1. This can be validated very easily.

I also suggest you take a look at this article  - https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/performance-tuning-130289.html (it has helped me a great deal on my site).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events