Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Personal space key a numeric key instead of name?

Michela Baca April 18, 2018

One of my users created a personal space however the key is a random numeric value instead the user's id?  I have a mix of users that have personal spaces some have the key as their user id and some are numeric.

Thanks for the information!

Michela

3 answers

2 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

I just discovered that special characters in a username will result in a numeric space ID. Do your users have email addresses as usernames perhaps?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Good point! Was my first guess thinking of the way page names with special characters get converted in the URL as well.

1 vote
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

I think I found something in the weekly Atlassian Cloud blog post from Mar 12 to Mar 19

ISO27k change personal space key and name generation

We've made a few changes to personal spaces to give you more control over your personal data. From now on:

• When you create a personal space, you'll be assigned a randomly generated spacekey and your homepage will get the title "Overview" by default. You can change the title at any point.
  • Your personal space will be archived when you leave your team, and your name will be replaced with "Unknown user" throughout Confluence, including in the name of your personal space.
Michela Baca April 19, 2018

Max, thanks this is just the confirmation I was looking for.  I appreciate the research and response!

Have a great day!

Michela

0 votes
Jonathan Smith
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2018

Brief testing:

• Accessing a profile (clicking their user name via mention or in search results) will display ~username in URL
  • Accessing personal space = ID in URL

When going to personal spaces, special characters cause the ID to occur. ~ is in your space key.

*Hoping other champions can verify my statement*

Regards.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

I'll vouch for it.  There might be other reasons, but you definitely get the unique numerical id for a user when a user name contains non-standard characters your setup cannot handle.

Michela Baca April 18, 2018

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately the users that have space URLs with a numeric id do not have special characters in their name.  

It does seem like the users that most recently created personal spaces have the numeric id.  Do you think this was changed in one of latest JIRA cloud deployments?  

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2018

It's entirely possible that Cloud has been changed to use numerics instead of login recently.

Tracy B August 8, 2019

My personal space has been up for years and has no special characters in the name... and suddenly it shows a spacekey instead. Mysterious.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events