cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is crowd.properties required when User Directories are defined in the DB

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2012

Just completed the upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3

We use crowd with SSO, so after every update I have to manually go back in and update seraph-config.xml as described here https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Integrating+Crowd+with+Atlassian+Confluence

That doc also says to update crowd.properties, but I thought that must be old, the server just completed a full synch to crowd without issue, and loaded all users

ANd then I tried to login. Confluence said I was not a valid user, and Crowd logs said application 'username' not authorized.

So I had to duplicate the URL, name and passowrd already found in the DB just to allow SSO/logins to work.

What is the need/point? What if I have several crowd directories all on different servers, how does this file fit into the new model of User Directories defined in the app UI?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

After opening an issue withy support I was told it comes down to application architecture that currently requires Seraph authenticator to leverage that file as it is used at a latey that does not have DB access to get the repository details itself.

But they opened a ticket to possibly address that, and if you have this issue I encourage you to vote for the issues (BY CLICKING THE LINK, and clicking "vote" ! PLease do not +1 as an answer,. or comment on the issue....)

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-3030

0 votes
Daniel Borcherding
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2012

ddie,

I am not sure why that bit about the crowd properties is in the document. With your versions of Confluence you should not need to make any manual changes to any file other than your seraph-config.xml.

The file "crowd.properties" is an older implementation of how Confluence connects to Crowd. It should not be necessary in versions of Confluence past 3.5.x. The not there may be an allusion to a migration from an older instance to the more modern, UI driven connection.

The error you are encountering seems to relate to your permission structre in Crowd. Are you still having this problem?

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

Hmmm, Luiz Carlos said that was not case. Still having then issue. Add crowd.properties it goes away, remove uit an no on can log in.

Luiz Carlos opened https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CWD-3030 to allow seraph to leverage DB for SSO authentication.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events