Why does the Table Filter for the "Label(s)" column join the labels together?

Jes Holden April 12, 2022

I have a Task Report, where I am trying to use a Table Filter Macro, with filters that allow me to refine the list of tasks based on a variety of filter combinations. 

The Task Report includes the following columns to display: description,duedate,assignee,location,labels.

When configuring the Table Filter Macro, I have the option to select which filters I want to be driven by a dropdown list. I have set the filters to use dropdowns for "Task appears on" and for "Label(s)". The dropdown for "Label(s)" is not working as I expected.

Here's a hypothetical example to explain what I've encountered.

If I have pages with the following labels:

• Page A: on_hold; tasklist; team123
  • Page B: tasklist; team123; on_hold
  • Page C: tasklist; team456; in_progress
  • Page D: team456; on_hold
  • Page E: draft

Actual Result:

For some reason the "Label(s)" filter dropdown does not provide a list of each label in use. Instead, I get a list of grouped labels. Using the hypothetical example above, this is the list of options I get in the "Label(s)" dropdown:

1. on_holdtasklistteam123
  2. tasklistteam123on_hold
  3. tasklistteam456in_progress
  4. team456on_hold
  5. draft

The dropdown options are a "mashup" of the labels from each page. Even though Page A and Page B are using the same labels, the filter does not recognize them as the same. Instead, the dropdown includes a separate selection for each (#1 and #2 above). It seems to take into account the order in which the labels are displayed on the page. 

What I'm trying to achieve:

Using the example above, I would expect the "Label(s)" filter to give the following dropdown options:

1. on_hold
  2. tasklist
  3. team123
  4. team456
  5. in_progress
  6. draft

I want to be able to choose a single label. For example, if I were to choose "on_hold", I would then expect to see Page A, Page B, and Page D in the filtered results.

Currently, I do not have that option. I can only filter by the entire grouping of labels from a page.

Am I missing something? Am I overlooking a setting in the Table Filter Macro? 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Katerina Kovriga _Stiltsoft_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Jes Holden ,

The macro works correctly: if you set a dropdown filter, then the whole contents of a cell becomes its possible option. As you have a list of labels inside one cell (not one label per cell), the whole list is an option.

If you want to search by single labels, you need to set a free text filter for this column.

Here you may find more information about the filters' types.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events