Why does Confluence ignore heading margin CSS values in PDF output?

Chuck Martin June 23, 2014

Using the Documentation theme, I am attempting to output PDF. But the output ignores margin values for headings, specifcially the top margin values. The default CSS look like this:

h1
{
font-size: 26px;
margin: 36px 0 4px 0;
}

h2
{
font-size: 20px;
margin: 27px 0 4px 0;
}

h3
{
font-size: 18px;
margin: 21px 0 4px 0;
}

My current PDF Export Stylesheet contains the following:

h1 {
font-size: 22pt;
margin: 120px, 0, 20px, 0;
page-break-before: always;
page-break-after: avoid;
break-after: avoid;
}
h2 {
font-size: 20pt;
margin: 100px, 0, 20px, 0;
page-break-before: always;
page-break-after: avoid;
break-after: avoid;

I have also tried using pt for values (much better than pixel values, especially for print), but in every case, the PDF output leaves no space before headings. The only way I can get space before headings is to manually add blank paragrpahs at the end of eevery topic, clearly not a "solution" and a very painful workaround.

What do I have to do to get the PDF output to correctly use the defined margin values?

2 answers

0 votes
Reto Eggenberger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2014

Hi Chuck

You have to use !important in your CSS. Then it works correct.

h1 
{
font-size: 26px;
margin-top: 50px !important;
}

Cheers

Reto

Chuck Martin July 15, 2014

Thanks Reto. I'll give that a try.

Can anyone explain why that is? Why the Consfluence system simply doesn't use the default CSS as a starting point, and then "cascade" subsequent CSS properly?

0 votes
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

Hi Chuck,

have you already had a look at the Scroll PDF Exporter? It might be the perfect answer for your question 'What do I have to do to get the PDF output to correctly use the defined margin values?' ;-)

Please read the following blog post to learn more about the benefits of the Scroll PDF Exporter.

If you have any questions, please contact support@k15t.com. I'll be happy to help.

Cheers,
Nils

Chuck Martin June 26, 2014

Nils, if I need to purchase an add-on got the a product to work correctly, something is fundamentally wrong.

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events