Why does Confluence Questions submit calls to Google Analytics?

Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2013

When I visit Confluence Questions plugin it shows that something is transferring to www.google-analytics.com.See the picture.

Why is that? and how do I turn it off?

---updated---

Also shows "Connecting to..."

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2013
Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

The why question is now answered thanks!

Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

Yes, but I think that it would have been helpful to know without finding out by accident.

I'm sure Atlassian has done it for the best reasons, but it might present some security issues for sites like ours that are totally private for very good reasons.

Cheers.

0 votes
Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

I checked the FROM and TO. And got another one that just says "Connecting to..."

0 votes
Jorge
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

Hi Mick, could you resend the link? PAGE NOT FOUND

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

It talks about this here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/407724483/Atlassian%20Beta%20Testing%20Terms%202013%2009%2025.doc.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1380306151607&api=v2

See section ten. This says, in a nutshell, that GA is being used to gather data to help improve the user experience. it doesn't say that this will stop once Questions is out of beta, so Atlassian need to address that.

Cheers.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

I've just tried this on ours and have the same thing happen. I also noticed that is says 'transferring FROM' not 'to'.

0 votes
Mick Davidson
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2013

Good question.

Also, what happens if your instance, like ours, is not open to the public and hidden behind the firewall? Does the data still get sent. If not, does not sending the data have any knock-on affects?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events