Why does Confluence Questions submit calls to Google Analytics?

When I visit Confluence Questions plugin it shows that something is transferring to www.google-analytics.com.See the picture.

Why is that? and how do I turn it off?

---updated---

Also shows "Connecting to..."

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

The why question is now answered thanks!

Yes, but I think that it would have been helpful to know without finding out by accident.

I'm sure Atlassian has done it for the best reasons, but it might present some security issues for sites like ours that are totally private for very good reasons.

Cheers.

Good question.

Also, what happens if your instance, like ours, is not open to the public and hidden behind the firewall? Does the data still get sent. If not, does not sending the data have any knock-on affects?

I've just tried this on ours and have the same thing happen. I also noticed that is says 'transferring FROM' not 'to'.

It talks about this here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/407724483/Atlassian%20Beta%20Testing%20Terms%202013%2009%2025.doc.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1380306151607&api=v2

See section ten. This says, in a nutshell, that GA is being used to gather data to help improve the user experience. it doesn't say that this will stop once Questions is out of beta, so Atlassian need to address that.

Cheers.

Hi Mick, could you resend the link? PAGE NOT FOUND

I checked the FROM and TO. And got another one that just says "Connecting to..."

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Confluence

Add-on evaluation with confluence templates

Atlassian market place contains number of Apps/Addons which improves the capability of out of the box Atlassian products. It is good to follow a plugin evaluation process before install add-ons. So t...

101 views 12 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you