Why do image filenames no longer appear when you hover over them?

jeff June 10, 2021

I copy a lot of info out of Confluence for use in other platforms, and there are a lot of screenshots in the info. I used to be able to hover over the screenshot to see the filename, so I could pick it out of the attachments easily. This functions seems to have disappeared a couple days ago when the Caption feature was added. Is there any way to view the actual image filename? 

1 answer

0 votes
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2021

Hi Jeff, there are a few ways you can get to the filename:

- Click on the file in the 'view' mode - the name is at the top left of the media viewer

- In either edit or view mode via the attachments macro

- Via the attachments page

Hope this helps?

jeff June 14, 2021

My problem stems from the fact that I typically download all the attachments (30-50), which are often named Screenshot <date> <time>. It used to be that in Edit mode, I could hover over the image, and a pop-up would appear with the filename, so I could select the right image much easier and quicker. That feature seems to have disappeared, so now I have to either download the images from the page and rename them myself, or I have to follow the order (without messing it up) from the View page.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2021

Ok understood, does using the attachments macro or link to the attachments page help?

jeff June 15, 2021

I can get to the attachment page without an issue. But that doesn't show me the filename in the Edit content. 

As for the macro, I don't have that so I don't know what if it would help.

As I said originally, this was a function that Confluence did on its own without me needing to install anything. I'm curious if the functionality was deprecated and replaced with something else, or if there is a setting I need to turn on in order to get that back?

I appreciate the help.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
June 15, 2021

The feature was deprecated, but before captions rolled out.

In Confluence in 'edit' mode if you hit the slash command (type / ) and then type 'attachments' you'll be able to add the macro. Its build into Confluence so you don't need to install anything.

I just did a test and I can see the filenames.

Then after you publish the page you can use the macro to view or download files easily (either by opening them and downloading, or by right clicking on the name and choosing 'Save link as...'

Brantone September 7, 2022

Suffering from same fate ... uploaded dozens of images that are all numbered, ut then Confluence reordered them for no apparent reason.

Trying to resort is painful and tedious and all-round horrible.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events