Why do I get a blank bullet point as the first item of the TOC?

Deleted user March 10, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Table of Contents Macro

Every time I use this macro, it shows an empty/blank entry as the first item of the list.

I don't know why this appears!

5 answers

1 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Milo Test
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2017

Make sure that there isn't an empty line above your first header, or make sure that everything (macros, tables, etc.) are set to the Paragraph style.

Deleted user March 12, 2017

The first line in the article, the one with the TOC macro on it, was set to Heading 2.

Changing it to Paragraph got rid of the blank bullet point item within the rendered TOC.

Like # people like this
Andrew Finnell December 18, 2018

To be more specific, my issues was that the Table of Contents as being formatted as a Heading 1, which was not immediately obvious. This caused the TOC to count as the first entry.

Like # people like this
David Steinbroner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 12, 2019

This is what I needed! I ensured the fix by deleting my table of contents macro and then inserting it again.

Like Gaj Umapathy likes this
Enric Martinez July 9, 2020

Actually, the correct answer is rather simple: 

Set the level to 1 instead of 0, this level 0 does not exist and is AFAIK a bug that has been reported but is still unresolved.

Thus, no bothering about spaces before or any strange stuff, just set the header level to 1. 

You can see that BTW in the preview, thus just play around with that, nothing will break :)

Like Thomas Müller likes this
Mimi T
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 27, 2022

I tried everything and an empty entry still shows up. I found a workaround though, which is to enter ".+" for the option: "Include headings".

Like Marc Thayer likes this
12 votes
Bill M.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 18, 2019

I had this same problem, even after making sure I wasn't typing anything extra and after already setting the TOC line of the document to be "Paragraph" style.  What finally worked for me was the following. Go to the "Edit 'Table of Contents' Macro" pop-up window (this pops up when you insert a new TOC, or when you double-click the icon for one you've already added), scroll down to the "Exclude Headings" field and enter the two characters w* here.  This essentially tells Confluence to leave out any bullet points that appear blank.

Pratyush Tewari January 25, 2021

Yes! this helped me.

Make sure the TOC macro is set to paragraph level. By default it is set to H2 and this causes an empty bullet in the list.

Like David Stone likes this
jared_rypka-hauer_contractor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 30, 2022

I can confirm this! This is exactly what I needed. None of the changes to styles helped, and I verified had no extra lines or characters interfering. The only thing that helped the blank bullet in the ToC was to set my H1 to Paragraph... but I wanted the H1 in the ToC! Gah!

So I tried this one and lo-and-behold!!

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.49.39 AM.png

ToC BEFORE ADDING THE EXCLUSION FILTER

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.49.51 AM.png

ToC AFTER ADDING THE EXCLUSION FILTER

David Stone
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 9, 2022

I can confirm that setting it to paragraph fixed my issue

9 votes
Pratyush Tewari January 25, 2021

Make sure the TOC macro is set to paragraph level. By default it is set to H2 and this causes an empty bullet in the list.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 2.13.18 PM.png

Anil Waddi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 13, 2021

This helped to understand the fix and actually fix it in no time. Thank you!

vivian vivian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 26, 2021

Great! That's the root cause.

Lalatendu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 7, 2021

Yes.. This worked for me.

1 vote
David Cahill October 21, 2021

Atlassian, why not make the TOC automatically set it's own heading to "Table of Contents" so you can avoid people setting it to paragraph level in the first place to fix a problem with a default behavior?

Suzanne Raphael November 5, 2021

Why? Because the MVP/excuse-to-leave-applications half-***ed development mentality pervades even relatively pricey commercial products. As always, thanks Atlassian. Oh, unless there's a good reason a user would want a blank bullet to head their TOC? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Like EMCC Atlassian likes this
0 votes
sathish raman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 14, 2022

In the 'Exclude Heading' option, give  this regular expression ^$ (to exclude empty item in the list)

sathish raman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 14, 2022

Sorry guys, its working only in preview, not after publishing!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events