Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Atlassian Docker images run as root?

Andrew Pitt June 15, 2018

It's generally bad practice for Docker images to run as root.  However, the official Bitbucket and Confluence Server images run as root.

Unfortunately, if you're using an enterprise container management platform (we're using OpenShift), containers that run as root aren't even allowed to start.  This is for securtiy purposes.  Most people aren't willing to turn off security features in a production environment in order to run a docker image.

Is there any plans to fix this in the near future?

The image is set to run on a high port, so there shouldn't be much issue in running this as a non-root (or daemon) user, right?

image.png

1 answer

0 votes
mforrer September 18, 2018

Are there any news regarding that issue? I'm in the process of deploying confluence and bitbucket on Openshift as well. Would be very helpful to have a docker image which doesn't run as root (nor as daemon), but as an arbitrary user.

Michael Rose November 12, 2018

Hi Michael,

this required some changes to the Dockerfile. I managed to run it as an arbitrary user, however with a few issues regarding timeouts. I will clean up and probably add a pull request tomorrow :)

Like mforrer likes this
mforrer November 21, 2018

Great, thanks :) any idea in which confluence image release this changes will be?

baacreations April 20, 2019

Any update on this? I'm also interested in running this container as a non-root user. 

Thanks

Rhätische Bahn AG August 30, 2019

recent changes made the situation even worse. This part in the entrypoint.py file:

def gen_cfg(tmpl, target, env, user='root', group='root', mode=0o644, overwrite=True):

makes it definitely impossible to run the image as a non-root user.

@Michael Rose any chances that this is getting reworked in the near future?

Thanks

Like Idan atCox likes this
Idan atCox November 9, 2020

@Rhätische Bahn AG please vote on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-12531 to promote nonroot Docker image

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events