Why didn't all of my images migrate from server to cloud?

Chris Young February 13, 2020

We recently migrated from Confluence server to Confluence cloud. Many of my server Confluence pages were image heavy, but many of the images are not loading on the pages that I migrated to the cloud version. Is there a fast way to to fix this other than to manually reload the images? I'd rather not have to manually copy from the server version -- it's doable, but yikes, what a project.

Also, is there an auditing tool that would identify all the broken links in my Confluence cloud pages?

1 answer

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2020

Hi @Chris Young ,

could you please describe the way you migrated to Cloud? Did you use the available Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant?

What do you mean by "not loading"? Does the page show an image like the file is missing? When you hover over the image or look at the link, will it link to the image on your server version? Please provide some additional information. And additionally, have you thought about opening a support request with the Atlassian Support?

Best, Max

Chris Young February 14, 2020

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t Good questions. Here are my answers:

-- I used the Migration Assistant, and the process generally went perfectly smoothly.

-- By "not loading", I mean that there is an image icon placeholder, but no image

-- The image address is our Confluence cloud site URL, not the server version

-- When I click on the image icon, I get an error message similar to this:

Ouch! We can't load the image.

/rest/documentConversion/latest/conversion/convert/10073942/1

-- I haven't opened a support ticket yet because I was hoping this was a typical problem with a known solution

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2020

Hey Chris,

I was skimming through existing issues in the Jira issue tracker project for the Migration Platform (URL: https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/MIG). I found issues mentioning attachments that were missing at all. So it's not matching your scenario. The usual workaround was to delete and reimport the space again to solve it. So maybe that's worth a try. But in your case, the files are actually attached to the page and you can access them? Have you noticed pictures appearing after a while or after multiple refreshes of the page? When you edit the page (and maybe one of the pictures) and save the page again does the problem persist?

I'd open a support ticket anyhow because maybe there's a known solution the support can apply in the backend. :)

Best, Max

Many thanks for your input. I will open a support ticket, as it seems like this might be a unique case after all.

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2020

It'd be great if you let us know the problem and/or solution to it /a possible workaround after talking to the support! Have a great weekend.

Good suggestion -- I'll post what I find out.

Jessica Madera Gumba March 2, 2020

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t @Chris Young 

Hello, do you have updates on this case?

Our client is experiencing the same issue.

-- When I click on the image icon, I get an error message similar to this:

Ouch! We can't load the image.

/rest/documentConversion/latest/conversion/convert/2034841/2

Appreciate your thoughts here.

Thanks,

Jess

Alec Keeler January 19, 2021

We are seeing similar issues and it seems the missing images when clicked on display a URL with the Confluence Server the images were hosted on

e.g.

http://<server name>/download/attachments/30409869/image2020-8-17_11-35-30.png?version=1&modificationDate=1597660530567&

This seems to have been caused by the images being added when someone right clicks and does copy image from another Confluence page then pastes it in to a new page

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2021

Hi @Alec Keeler,

Just to double check the order of events:

1. You perform a Server to Cloud migration
  2. After the migration one of your team copies and pastes an image from one page to another
  3. The resulting copied image fails to load - with the source looking like its pointing to the previous Server location? 
Alec Keeler January 28, 2021

No, when I did the migration some images failed to transfer

Found out that the ones that failed to transfer had the URL form above with the local server name in, most didn't

Found that doing a right click copy of an image on one page then pasting it into another is the propable cause of the image being stored with that URL form

Just some info that if you find some images missing post migration this might be what caused it

Like Owen Wallis likes this
Janice Wiitala July 28, 2021

I'm experiencing this same issue after migration to cloud. Possible that images were copied from another page or moved/copied within the page. Is there a solution for this issue?

Anand Kumar Varma Potturi March 19, 2024

@Alec Keeler @Janice Wiitala  Did you guys happen to fix it up? We are facing the same issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events