Why did my edit view change?

Dana Sciamarelli May 22, 2013

When I started using Confluence, I was fine and able to use it without any issues. All of a sudden when I go in and try to edit a page, it gives me about two inches of edit space. Below that (where the rest of the edit space used to be) is completely blank.

Can someone help me fix this?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

While trying to figure out what is going on, our system administrator found out I am on Chrome Version 27. Everyone else in my group is in Chrome 26. There is an issue with Confluence with Chrome 27 (hopefully something the Confluence developers are aware of). I have attached a link of the other thread with the solution they found.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/152787/confluence-edit-page-in-chrome-27-look-bad

0 votes

It seems I have Chrome version 27, while my team has Chrome 26. This seems to be an issue many people are having in Chrome 27.

See https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/152787/confluence-edit-page-in-chrome-27-look-bad for another thread with this issue.

0 votes
Joe Wojak May 22, 2013

I am having this same problem in Chrome, but not in Safari. However, editing in Confluence worked last night, but this morning content in the edit workspace is cutoff. I've uploaded a screenshot of this to Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/RNbcXTL.png

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2013

Hi Dana,

That's indeed weird. Have there been any major changes since you started using it? Few things that I think could be related are :

* the browser that you are using (check if other browsers face this problem. You might want to check with other users also),

* customisations performed on your Confluence instance (CSS, layouts, etc). If there have been customisations, could you try reverting them to their original value and see if it helps the situation?

For Joe Wai Tye - I haven't changed anything. I use Confluence everyday. I was literally in it, editing a page, exited out and went back in an hour later and it was doing this. I usually open Confluence in Chrome but I tried to open it in IE. The page comes out all distorted so it's essentially unusable. I have another user in my group who also edits our pages and she isn't having this issue. I'm not sure what setting was changed or how it happened because I havent edited any settings.

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2013

Yeah, IE is kinda prone to issues at times. Have you tried with Firefox, perhaps? Also, could you try clearing the browser cache? Since the other user is not facing the issue, I think there could be something interfering with the edit window in your machine.

Alternatively, could you try logging in on another machine and check if the problem also crops up there?

My company has a lot of security issues, so I am only allowed to have IE and Chrome - so I cant try it in Firefox or another browser. I deleted the cache, cookies, and history and it didnt fix it. I dont think it is an issue with the browser. I am not having this issue with any other site.

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2013

Hmm, I'm not sure if it's related to the site (instance) itself though, as you mentioned that the other user isn't facing this issue. Did you try using a different machine to check if the problem shows up there as well?

Also, does this happen when trying to edit all pages? Or only for that specific page?

On my computer, it is happening on all pages I try to edit. I did just log into confluence on another machine and it worked fine. The issue is that with our security policies, I cannot use another machine. I need THIS machine to work. I'm not sure how or why this is happening but editing pages on any other site doesnt present this issue. I still think it's something with Confluence... or at least the way Confluence works with my computer specifically or Chrome. If this issue was coming up on other sites as well, I would be more apt to believe it was Chrome or the computer itself.

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2013

I still suspect that it's related to how your Confluence is interacting with your computer and/or Chrome. Do you have any newly added add-ons on your Chrome? If yes, please try disabling them and see if the problem persists.

If the problem persists, I think it might be better to raise this up on our proper support channel - support.atlassian.com. We have a lot of knowledgable and experienced engineers there that might have encountered this issue before.

I haven;t added any add-ons into Chrome (can't due to security reasons) so I dont think that could be it but I'll definitely ask support to see if anyone else has a suggestion. Thanks!

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2013

No problem :) Sorry I couldn't help solve it though.

If you do raise this as an issue in Support, I'd recommend that you paste the URL of this Answers post on the ticket. This way, the support engineers would know what we've already tried, and can proceed faster.

Can you send me an exact link as to where to post this with Support? Everytime I follow that link, it puts me back in a circle. Either I click a button and it brings me back where I started or it brings me back to this forum.

or a telephone number to call. Since you work for Atlassian, you should know the contact number... I cant find that either.

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
May 22, 2013

Hmm, it's weird that it would lead you on a circle. Since you are logged in to Answers, you should be able to log in to Support as well. From the log in screen, depending on whether or not you've logged into our Support site before, there will be a prompt for first-time users.

After that, you should be able to view the dashboard. On the top right, there should be a 'Create Issue' link, click on that, and then fill in all the information :)

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2013

What version? Are a user or an admin?

For J. Caldwell - I'm a user (I think) and I'm not sure how I find out what version I have.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events