Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we create 2 pages with the same name under a Space ?

seb dostie September 16, 2011

Hi,

Why can't we create 2 pages with the same name under a Space ? It is hard when desining a big wiki structure to know all the pages names in advance. It would be really nice that 2 pages under a different parent can have a different name.

Any guidelines about Spaces creation vs preventing same name for pages ?

Seb.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2011

Seb,

Here is a more elaborate example. This creates a journal entry that is dated, has fixed string included as well as a string defined with metadata on the page.

{text-data:Prefix}EXPR{text-data}
----
h2. Create New Journal Entry

{add-page:template=JournalEntry| parent=@self| prefix=%data:Prefix% Journal Entry %global:current date > date:yyyy-MM-dd% }Click to add new journal entry{add-page}
5 votes
Kevin Buchs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2011

You can't have duplicate names because Confluence provides the wonderful capability of preserving hyperlinks to pages even when that page moves around in the space. It is keyed off of the page name. It does this by associating the name with an ugly page ID. One name to two IDs would break the system. With a hyperlink to the named page, which one would you have Confluence choose to go to?

One approach is to go wide with space creation.

Another option is to use unique prefixes to create page names, so that hierarchical names cascade down to descendents. One mechanism is to apply unique name/date/timestamped names using the {add-page} macro. So, each parent leaves his mark on his children, in a sense.

Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2011

You need to fully specify you pages. We use prefixes. Instead of a plain "Requirements" page defined by its point in the hierarchy, we have "Microsoft Office - Requirements", "Landesk - Requirements", and so on. All the Pages under "Microsoft Office" will have the prefix.

This works well with search too.

seb dostie September 26, 2011

Thx.

Kevin, About the unique name/date/timestamped names using the {add-page} macro. Do you mean manually put the date and time or there is an "Add-page" macro for that ? Cause I can't find that macro.

Seb.

seb dostie September 26, 2011

found it in the plug in page..

Ben March 9, 2012

The solution is to not use the page name as the page ID/key. They need a separate "Display Name" field.

Like # people like this
antony terrence June 2, 2021

@[deleted] The links can be constructed using the page IDs too if the Atlassian really wants to solve the problem. Link text can continue to be the titles but the actual links could be created using the topic IDs. So I don't think it's a valid reason.

3 votes
Bob Sampson January 29, 2020

I still don't understand, doesn't the Url have a unique page number?

E.g.
/wiki/spaces/CAUI/pages/964312356/Components

Why can't Confluence just have:
/wiki/spaces/CAUI/pages/964312356

???

I don't see the point of the unique page name.

evanbartlett February 4, 2021

Came here with the same frustration.  I'm trying to get my org to use confluence for meeting notes, but everyone is getting "can't create page with same name" errors.  If you have a lot of people doing this, it puts a huge amount of the burden on them to constantly come up with unique names for pages.  Almost makes it unusable. 

Like Johan Bergens likes this
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2021

There's a practical benefit using real page titles in URLs.

kb.xyz.local/display/ABC/Management+and+Planning

or

kb.xyz.local/display/ABC/5467835480

It would arguably be possible to use only page IDs, include the tree, or use an ID plus the title.  Note also that the system has to cope with page moves and renames.  The design choices were made a long time ago and I think they were ok.  Confluence offers both a flat and heirarchical page access.  

The solution is to include a consistent section name in the title of all pages in a section.  So Jira - Email integration and Confluence - Email integration are different pages and you don't have to scan past the titles to find what you want in a search.   

That requires a bit of consistency work practice and perhaps education but, really, it results in better page titles.   If you are getting name clashes your names aren't really specific enough, include a bit of simple hierarchy in your page titles and the problem is solved.

evanbartlett February 4, 2021

Thanks for the context, makes total sense for documentation, it makes them better.  We're trying to use it for meeting notes, so it's probably more of an outlier use case.  But making people type new names so frequently adds up.  

Johan Bergens June 1, 2021

I think causes a lot of tedious work even for other things than meeting notes. We have documentation about internal systems and it quickly gets boring to write "SystemA servers", "SystemB servers", etc. It also makes it hard to change the names after.

I do understand that it is a part of the base architecture and may be very hard to change now but as a user I don't like it.

2 votes
Helena Makarchuk May 17, 2019

It is a very pity that the functionality to create pages with the same name (but, of course, with the different path) inside the space will not be implemented

Spyros Mylonas June 9, 2019

I agree with you. I have decided not to migrate from Nuclino (more expensive up to 10 users) to confluence (cheaper).

Like # people like this
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2020

The original wikis were flat page spaces joined with links, not page parent-child relationships.  That gives quick unique access to any page.

As the page count goes up a hierarchical model is going to be needed to keep things under control.   Confluence used a hybrid flat + hierarchical model, on a best-of-both_worlds strategy, I guess.  

1 vote
Mariano Del Rosso May 3, 2021

Shameful. 

Emrah Urhan May 18, 2021

Year is 2021!

0 votes
Adam January 24, 2020

Latin script can be use in subtle fashion to make titles with the same names differentiated. Looks a tiny bit odd, but definitely worth it then adding a bunch of prefixes which can make product documentation look confusing. You don't want users questions what the prefix means, as opposed to glancing at the letter D that is rendered as Latin script.

Bob Sampson June 30, 2020

Yeah I've been using emojis, but looks unprofessional.

Like Adam likes this
0 votes
Denise Unterwurzacher [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2013

FYI, there is some thorough discussion of this issue here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-2524

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events