Why can't I use Slash Commands in Confluence?

James January 14, 2019

Confluence templates refer to slash commands to embed Jira (/jira) and Trello (/trello) components, as well as things like roadmap planners. 

The only one I'm able to use is '//' to get a date. Why can't I use the others? I've tested across Chrome and Edge on Win10 and neither works.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2019

James,

Slash Commands are part of the new Confluence Editor Improvements that we are rolling out. It's being applied gradually to different parts of Confluence Cloud. Currently you may notice the editor in blog posts and other templates.

Previously the command to bring up the macro window was the curly bracket: {

You can still use this on pages where the new editor has not been rolled out.

Could you give that a try and let me know if that helps you?

Regards,

Shannon

alex
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 30, 2019

Maybe your company shouldn't roll out instructions for the improvements in advance of the improvements...

Curly brace works!

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2019

Hi Alex,

Thank you for confirming!

The instructions were rolled out at the same time that the improvements were applied to the Confluence Cloud instances. This was not done in advance of the improvements.

Be advised that the new editor is not on all pages yet; as we mentioned we are rolling it out to certain templates gradually.

From the documentation I referenced:

When will I see this?  

Right now! For most customers, you’ll see this new editing experience when you create a new blog post or meeting notes. In a few weeks, we’ll start rolling this out to all your pages.

How will the release work?

We’ll be rolling out gradually, in a 6 week sequence for each group of customers. We’ll give you lots of advance notice before this happens - keep an eye out for emails and in-app notifications.

After we turn this on, any new pages you create, as well as any existing pages that you edit will use this new experience. Incompatible pages - that is, pages that have content that doesn’t work in the new experience - will continue to open in the old editing experience. 

To make this transition smoother, we’ll be making the new experience available as a template a few weeks before it rolls out to all your pages, so you can familiarize yourself with it in your own time.

I want this now

You can have it! Opt in for an early release.

I hope that helps clarify things for you. 

Regards,

Shannon

Like # people like this
Andy Mehalick April 7, 2019

Your opt in link opens a generic Contact Support page. I'd like to opt in, are you suggesting I just need to message your support group directly?

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 8, 2019

Andy,

Thank you for reaching out! Yes, I was copying from the Confluence Editing Improvements blog directly, and in order to opt-in you need to contact Support in order to be considered.

Let me know if you have any trouble with creating the ticket.

Regards,

Shannon

James January 29, 2020

I can use the /jira slash command now. Thanks Atlassian.

As someone who is also managing the retirement and gradual feature migration of a legacy system, I appreciate the complexity of the job you're doing.

Like Shannon S likes this
1 vote
Deleted user March 24, 2019

WTF? I see this in new confluence pages but the /jira or any forward slash does absolutely nothing. Am I missing something here?

Type /trello to add a card or board to this page or /jira to include a Jira issue, chart, or project
Charlie Choiniere
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 25, 2019

Same here. It's super confusing. I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Deleted user March 25, 2019

As @GilaM pointed out above - It is the effect of a rolling out an incomplete feature. In some ways Jira and Confluence are victims of their own success. Fantastic products, supremely configurable but probably a nightmare in maintenance and design.

0 votes
GilaM
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 30, 2019

I agree - extremely poor planning by Confluence folks.  Isn't your whole schtick the fact that you are a "planning tool"?

I got an email about slash commands and thought "Great - Confluence might finally be ready for my team to try again".  Went through the hassle of signing up for another trial - and the feature does't work!  Very disappointed!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events