Why can't I "Browse and reorder all pages" with admin privileges?

Jim Kula May 19, 2022

When I attempt to reorder or nest my Meeting Notes, I get a greyed out circle with a line through when I try to move a page.  

My Meeting Notes section is getting long and unwieldy.  I want to create a nesting of pages associated with each Sprint.  If I try to nest or even simply reorder pages, it does not work.  I have ADMIN privileges, so I expect I should be able to do it.  The person with OWNER privileges is able to move pages, and nest pages.  Why can't I, as ADMIN?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Jim Kula ,

Welcome to Atlassian community. The fact that a user has space admin permissions doesn't necessarily mean that they can freely reorder pages. Have a look at the Notes about permissions under Move and Reorder Pages documentation.

To move a page, you need the following permissions:

• 'Add' permission on the page you're moving, and
  • 'View' permission on the page's parent page. If you're moving the page to a different parent, you need 'View' permission on the new parent.

To move a page into a different space, you also need:

• 'Delete' permission on the space you're moving from, and
  • 'Add' permission on the space you're moving to.

If the page has restrictions, and you want to keep the page restrictions in the new location, you'll also need 'Restrict' permission on the space you're moving to. Alternatively, remove the page restrictions before performing the move.

That said, take a look at your space permissions and compare your groups vs individual permissions if it is the case. Also, double-check if the tree they are moving the page to, has any view/edit restrictions.

I hope that helps. Have a good day!

Thanks,

Srinath T 

Jim Kula May 19, 2022

Thanks, Srinath.  

When I look at Restrictions on the page that I created (Meeting Notes for a specific meeting) and want to move under the same parent folder (Meeting Notes) into a nesting (per Sprint), the page has no Restrictions - Everyone can view and edit this page.

When I look at the Restrictions for the Parent folder (Meeting Notes),  the access is "Edited Restricted", i.e., Everyone can view, only some can edit.  I am listed below as having having edit permissions.

When I look at the parent (Project Monitoring) of the Parent folder (Meeting Notes), I also see under Restrictions that Everyone can view and edit this page.

Am I getting Permissions and Restrictions mixed up?  

Jim Kula

Nicolai Sibler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2022

Hi @Jim Kula ,

you can add people to a page's restrictions list even if they don't have access to the space at all.

So you really have to check your permissions on the space level as well.

Kind regards,

Nicolai

Like # people like this
Jim Kula May 20, 2022

Thanks, Nicolai.

Apparently, the Restricted Pages did not explicitly list me as having edit permissions.  

The Page Owner added me on the Restricted Page, and that worked. 

Still seems weird because as ADMIN and per my login I already had ADD, DELETE permissions on the Page.  Anyways, I can now reorder and nest pages, so the issue is resolved. 

Thanks again, Nicolai, and Srinatha.

Like Srinatha T likes this
Srinatha T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2022

@Jim Kula , Thank you for the confirmation. Feel free to accept the answer since its working fine for you . This way this thread will be marked closed and community members can focus on open discussions. 

Happy weekend!

Cheers,

Srinath T

Like Jim Kula likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events