Why can't I edit confluence Microsoft Active Directory Connecntion

Richard Wollenberger July 18, 2013

I'm unable to edit the settings of the Microsoft Active Directory and can't figure out why. It says I am logged in through it, but I don't think I am (from server as local admin, and logged into Confluence Internal Directory (which I also can't edit)

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ryan Goodwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2013

Hi Richard,

It sounds like you're seeing the 'You can't edit this directory because you're logged in with a user that is part of that directory message'. Confluence restricts editing of the directory you're logged in through so that you can't lock yourself out. The confluence internal directory is uneditable, as it's the default directory stored in the database.

If you know your internal directory confluence-administrator group member (this is configured either in setup wizard during install, or you've added another after initial setup) then you need to log in as this user. If the active directory user directory is in the top most position and you have the same user in both directories, then it will log you in via active directory. If you move the internal directory to the top position using the 'up' arrow, and the user you are logged in is a member in the internal directory, it will switch you to the internal directory and you should be able to edit the active directory config.

If you're not sure of the confluence-administrator member, please follow the instructions in this article to identify it and possibly change password to something you know or create a new admin user:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Restoring+Passwords+To+Recover+Admin+User+Rights

Hope this helps explain things and get you the right access!

0 votes
Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2013

Hi Richard,

Seems like you would need to create a precise search filter to retrieve specific set of users and groups. It would be tough for us to set it for you from here as it is necessary to review your LDIF export to come up with as suggestion.

However you could review our Crowd documentation here that could help you to compose a good search filter.

Restricting LDAP Scope for Group and User

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Septa Cahyadiputra

0 votes
Richard Wollenberger July 25, 2013

Ryan,
I THOUGHT I wasn't logged in through the current directory, but I obviously was. While we've made it over this hurdle, we still can't get the settings right to only import People (our staff) into Confluence. We've made it down a level from the domain, but want to get one level further down. Our structure looks like this: domain.local\company nickname\Users & Groups\Users.

Confluence is getting me to the Users & Groups level, but I want to get it so that only the container Users is showing in the "people" section of Confluence, and we're not sure how to make this work correctly.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events