Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I add a new user in Confluence?

Bruce John August 1, 2017

Hello,

I added a new user to my 10 account limit on Confluence, bringing the total up to 6 users. When I went to add a 7th user I suddenly was no longer able to add a user (i.e. by entering their name and e-mail), I kept looking but it was as if the functionality had vanished.

I searched for answers and found this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/add-users-and-add-groups-buttons-are-missing-due-to-disabled-built-in-user-management-732267835.html

... basically several functions are no longer visible/usable (e.g. adding user, requesting password reset) but when I checked to see if built-in user management was disabled, which was the solution to this exact error it seems, it was not disabled.

Any other ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks for your time!

2 answers

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2017

Atlassian support here.

Please rule out browser issues by trying another browser or another computer.

I did not find a bug or any other cases of the user management buttons disappearing, so if this is a bug it is not a common one.

Bruce John August 4, 2017

Hi Ann,

Thanks for replying. I've tried logging in from my account and the other admin's account from multiple machines and multiple browsers (with and without cache cleared) but it remains the same. 

I'm still unable to create a new user account just as I'm sure I did this last Monday (entering the e-mail, full name, username).

Not sure what happened or what I'm missing here.

-Bruce

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2017

I checked with the Cloud team and it looks like 6 is the magic number when the Quick Add (Create User) button disappears from the bottom and you have to use the  Create User at the top right. It is obscured by the pulldown menu in your screen shot but it should look like:

Create.png

This article may explain why the password reset procedure has changed:

Domain verification

Bruce John August 4, 2017

Oh wow, I was totally mistaking this for a bug and then I got carried away as I was searching for the cause. I should have tried removing that last user I had added before it happened.

Thanks so much for providing some clarity on this, I knew something had to be going on.

-Bruce

0 votes
Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2017

Hey can you please post a screenshot of what your administration menu is now looking like? Is there still any user management options available? Have you checked that you have not accidentally added more users than you thought?

Cheers

Christoph

P.S.: Are you using Cloud or Server?

Bruce John August 2, 2017

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. There are user management options available, but just as described in the link some functionality was lost. I'm pretty sure we're using cloud, the simple $10 per month for 10 users.

admin_1.jpg

admin.jpg

Bruce John August 2, 2017

Under users I see the 6 people I added, but no more than that, plus that doesn't explain why I can't request password anymore. The bug is exactly what was happening in that link, but built-in user management was never disabled.

Christoph Schötz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2017

I recommend you contacting the Atlassian support - guess there is a bug in your instance... 

Cheers 

Christoph 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events