Why can I not insert an Expand Macro inside of an Excerpt Macro?

Zac Lopez-Ibanez June 14, 2019

I know it is possible to nest Expand macros inside each other, though, when I try to nest an Expand Macro inside of an Excerpt Macro the Expand Macro is automatically moved below (outside the scope) of the Expand Macro.

3 answers

3 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2019

Hello Zac,

From Thomas' example, it appears that it is still possible to nest Expand Macros in the old editor. I believe you might be running into this issue with the new editor. Can you confirm?

If so, I have been able to confirm that it does not work in the new editor, and I've raised this request:

Please vote on the request and watch it in order to be updated of any changes.

As for a workaround, you might be able to use the Source Editor for Confluence and copy the source from a working page on the old editor. I haven't been able to test this myself, so if you are able to work around it, please let us know!

Regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Andrew Schreffler September 14, 2022

I just discovered a workaround for this. You should:

On the main page:
/excerpt (hidden: this can be anywhere on the page)

/expand

/excerpt include (tied to the above excerpt inside the above expand if needed)

If excerpt needed on another page:

/expand

/excerpt include (tied to the above excerpt inside the above expand if needed)

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2019

Hi @Zac Lopez-Ibanez ,

have you tried another browser? I just tried it with my Confluence Cloud instance and it works perfectly (with Google Chrome)

image.png

Zac Lopez-Ibanez June 17, 2019

You made it look so easy! I'm using Chrome and unfortunately even on a blank Confluence page with nothing else in the Excerpt Macro, It's still getting kicked out. Perhaps a setting that I'm not seeing. Thank you Thomas for the help.

Matan Gez April 22, 2020

I can't use it too on Chrome or Edge.

Have you found a solution?

Renat Sultanov March 22, 2022

Based on what I see (icons), Thomas is using old editor, not Editor V2. I tested on old editor and it works indeed! But with Editor V2 it doesn't work anymore (as some other good functions in old version), strange solution to remove working solution....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events