Why are there no highlight options for searches?

Michael Thompson February 15, 2019

I keep hearing that the preview will highlight the words but that does not happen. I downloaded the only app that supposedly highlights the words when you actually get to the page but that doesn't work either. 

Search functionality without highlights or ability to go right to the search term rather than dumping you at the top of a 40 page document is somewhat worthless. 

1 answer

0 votes
Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2019

Hello there Michael! Thanks for sharing with the Community.

Could you clarify a few things for us:

1. Is this application a third-party add-on for Confluence?
  2. Is the search you refer to the Confluence native search bar?
  3. Are you trying to search within files such as PDF or Word?
  4. Are you trying to search directly into Confluence pages in your instance?
  5. Can you tell me if you are on Confluence Cloud or Server?
  6. Could you send us some screenshots of the issue that you are currently facing?

Please, take care to not disclose any sensitive information with the screenshots! The Community is a public space and everyone can see what is posted here.

About the highlight feature. We do have a Feature Request that seems to point into the exact direction you need to go:

CONFSERVER-6174 | Search terms should be highlighted in pages

You could visit this page and then vote and watch the report! Voting increases the report visibility and watching will keep you up to date with everything.

Let us know!

Michael Thompson February 18, 2019

App is Highlight Search Results for Confluence. I can't find any others. Mostly it doesn't work now even if I do Advanced Search. I'm just using whatever Search appears in the nav bar at the top of Confluence. I try to search only pages or whatever way I can try to filter to see if it will actually show highlights but it doesn't even show them in the search results listing let alone on pages or documents. I get that it may not show highlights on documents but it should show them at least on pages. 

We are using a Confluence Server. 

Michael Thompson February 18, 2019

By the way I'm working with the people who created this app and they want me to open a ticket but when I try to log into Atlassian to open a ticket it just gives me a little spinning icon thing and never does anything else. Literally for hours it just keeps spinning. I've tried different browsers different networks and still nothing works. So I can't even work with them because there is no way to reply to an email. 

Diego
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2019

Hi Michael!

I installed the plugin locally, with Confluence 6.12.2, which is listed as compatible in the plugin page:

Highlight Search Result for Confluence

The plugin did not work as intended. With this result, I looked through logs but nothing related to the plugin was shown there.

There are couple possibilities here:

• the plugin needs to be fixed for newer versions
  • there are errors but we need to specify the class so logs are shown

Either way, we would need some input from the developer himself.

Further, could you send us a screenshot of the problem you are facing when trying to raise a ticket? We would like to take a look on this behaviour.

Let us know!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events