Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Page Properties Report macro only pick up first row of Page Properties macro's multi-row table.

Chien-sheng Tsai April 9, 2015

I have 13 parent pages, with 5 sub-pages each.  One of the 5 sub-pages is designated as an Issues List page, whereby outstanding issues are listed.  I used a Page Properties macro on this Issues List page, and inserted a 6 Column by 10 Row (6C x 10R) table within the Page Properties macro.  

Some of the 13 Issues List Pages have Issues listed in a certain time frame/period, and some do not, depending upon circumstances–users populate the issues list, and it should be dynamic, 

Then I go to my Space Summary Page, which captures and summarizes matters from the 13 Parent pages and their child pages.  I wish to automatically transfer the Issues cited on the 13 individual Issues List pages. 

So I intend to incorporate 13 Page Properties Report macros on the Space Summary Page, each one capturing select Columns but all the (populated) Rows of the individual tables resident on the respective Issues List pages. 

And herein lies the problem:  The individual Issues List page (with the Page Properties macro) does present all the Column and the Rows of each table, but the linked Page Properties Report macro only picks up the First Row of this table.  I tested with a second Page Properties Report macro, and it also only picks up the First Row.

Question:  How can the Page Properties Report macro be made to pick up all the (populated) Rows of the

related table, or is this not possible?   (Note:  I do not want to show all the Columns, and it was OK to show only selected Columns).   

1 answer

2 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2015

That is not how the page properties macro works. It expects to find key/value pairs in it. Like this ...

image2015-4-9 13:29:16.png

or this

image2015-4-9 13:30:2.png

It is meant to convey properties about that page alone which are then aggregated on the report macro.

Transfer of Rows into Column, thus only one Resultant Row. I see. This is what I have. I could not upload an image due to corporate data transfer restriction. Page Properties: A_Header B_Header C_Header D_Header E_Header F_Header Row 1 Row 1 Row 1 Row 1 Row 1 Row 1 Row 2 Row 2 Row 2 Row 2 Row 2 Row 2 Row 3 Row 3 Row 3 Row 3 Row 3 Row 3 Row 4 Row 4 Row 4 Row 4 Row 4 Row 4 Page Properties Report (I only select 4 of the 6 columns, and the headers were OK): Title A_Header B_Header D_Header E_Header PageName Row 1 Row 1 Row 1 Row 1 Per above, if it is as you indicated, I should have ended up with this: A_Header Row 1 Row 2 Row 3 Row 4 B_Header Row 1 Row 2 Row 3 Row 4 But I did not. How to explain??

Aside from the Page Properties Report macro, what can I use to get what I want, a summary list of outstanding issues, generated automatically off of a different page that has all the details and where the issues are input? Thanks, All.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2015

If you look at the screen shots above the keys are in either a header row or column. You can see this visually based on the color difference. When you edit a table there are two buttons in the edit bar to toggle the column or row as a header. That is why both of my screenshots work. There is one header that contains the keys and one body that contains the values. This is also why you are seeing what you are seeing. The first row in your table is a header row. The next row are the values. The rest of the rows are ignored. You are not using the page properties macro the way it was meant to be used. It is meant to convey key/value pairs of meta data about the page that it is on.

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2015

If you want to use the page properties macro for this then you need to create a page for each issue rather than put them all on one page. On each issue page you would have the key value pairs associated with that issue. You would also give each issue page a label. Then in your report macro you would set the properties of that macro look at pages with the label that you used.

Like Vaibhav Karajgaonkar likes this
Chien-sheng Tsai April 10, 2015

I don't need/have to use the Page Properties macro or the associated Report macro. I am looking for some kind of automated way to report on issues on 13 different areas, onto a one page Summary Report. The Page Properties macro with the inserted table does what I need it to do, since the rows of the table may be populated or not populated, although the table cannot automatically expand or shrink as an Excel table could, so have to insert additional rows manually--but that is OK, it is workable. The problem comes in the mechanism to grab the populated rows of the specific columns of interest in the Page Properties pages onto the summary page. Given that the Page Properties Report macro is not usable, is there another macro which would enable me to do that? If the Page Properties Report macro could be modified to pick up whatever number of rows that are populated, then my problem would be solved. It would not be practical or desirable to create a page for each issue. The number of Issues is unknown ahead of time. If there are no Issues, the Summary Report should not show, or show 1 incident of "No Issues" I also have a Tasks page for each of the 13 areas, and I used the Task Report macro twice to grab the list of completed and then the incomplete tasks onto the one-page summary. There are only two possible outcomes allowed by the Task Report macro--complete & incomplete, no additional category--or else I could have used it. I had to use the Task Report macro twice, not once with two options, or with both options--although there is a sub-line that allows showing completed with additional click. Issues are not equivalent to Tasks. An Issue may turn into a Task. To be more precise, I should have labeled it as an Outstanding Issues List. The key is that I want the Summary Report automated, thus providing a constant status update, with minimal manual intervention--not needing to go to each of the 13 individual areas (pages) to manually copy and update. Please note that some of the 13 areas may not have any Outstanding Issues during a period, but may have some in other periods. So it has to be dynamic.

Chien-sheng Tsai April 10, 2015

In re-reading your comment Davin (Thanks for responding, by the way) am I correct to conclude that you are saying that I use the Page Properties Macro ("PPM") once for each Issue on my Issues Page, and then only use the Page Properties Report Macro ("PPRM") once in the One-page Summary Page by relying on the label in the the PPM to bring them in? Given that I have 13 business areas, and let say 10 Issues per area; in each area's Issues Page, I need 10 PPM's, and on the One-page Summary Report I need 13 PPRM's, each PPRM pulling from the respective 10 PPM's.linked by an unique label. Is this what you are saying? Could work, if I find a macro that will create/generate a PPM automatically with a proper label for each issue that will be as easy as filling out/populating a table.

Deleted user November 15, 2016

Would be great if you could pick rows or columns. Also would be good if you could put more than one column....

Like # people like this
Chris Willson October 1, 2019

I have used the Page Properties Report macro successfully in a number of areas already, but am currently struggling with an issue whereby the macro isnt pulling values through to the defined column (which is a row in my table on the source pages).  Any thoughts? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events