Why/How do personal spaces exist for user even though they didn't create it?

Colruty Group April 10, 2023

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please help me with this.

There are some personal spaces of different users in our space directory. No one has created those spaces and using it currently.

How does these spaces created when they do not have the permission to create the personal space?

How do only some users have the personal spaces not all users.

How does these personal spaces were created unknowing to the user?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

Hi @Colruty Group,

There is a setting under global permissions in your site that - if set to enabled - automatically generates a personal space for users in a group. You can read more background information in this Community article. That is probably what is happening in your site.

To disable the setting, remove the Personal space option from the appropriate groups in Confluence Settings > Global Permissions on the user groups tab.

Hope this helps!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2023

@Walter Buggenhout 

That article applies to Confluence Cloud, I believe, and the OP has tagged their question as Confluence Data Center.

Colruty Group April 11, 2023

I know how to enable the permissions of the Personal Space. Looks like the process for enabling global permissions on personal spaces is same in both Cloud and Data Center, but it is not my issue.

There are some personal spaces of different users present/ exists in our Confluence Datacenter. We didn't enable the permissions for any users in confluence to create their own personal spaces, yet there are many personal spaces.

I just want to know that how these are created.

Is there any setting in confluence that even if user didn't create the personal space, the personal space is automatically created for the user?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Hi @Colruty Group,

I referred to the cloud article as a feature was implemented there that automatically creates personal spaces for users. That seemed like a logical explanation for the presence of spaces nobody could/wanted to account for. But I overlooked the Data Center tag, so that is not the case there.

My best advice would be to take a look at the audit log in your Confluence instance and search for the space name of such a space (or the created keyword). Space creation is logged over there, so you might be able to find evidence there of who created those spaces. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events