Why Confluence deletes local links?

Thomas August 7, 2017

Hi,

we use local links in confluence. It worked a long time in combination Firefox+LocalLink-Addon.

A few weeks ago we updated to Confluence 6.1.4.

Now I insert a link which I can see in the Source View:
<p> <a href="file:///ICSF002/home/Test.txt">Test</a> </p>

When I save and edit again the Link is not there! There is only:
<p> <a>Test</a> </p>

Why Confluence deletes content? Is that a feature?

Regards Thomas

1 answer

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2017

Hi there Thomas,

It looks like the issue is the file: portion of the link being restricted in modern browsers. Please see: Cannot link to local files from within Confluence

Thomas August 8, 2017

Hi Ann,

I know the link above.

The file is there. In the past our links where not deleted. Why Confluence accepts the link in the first step and then delete it?

Regards Thomas

Thomas August 21, 2017

I can reproduce it again and again:

1. inser text, link it to:
    file://///sfile/share/Folder/Subfolder/filename.pdf
  2. Save
  3. The link works now.
  4. Edit the Page, edit the link. There is no Link!!!
  5. Cancel Editmode
  6. The Link can be used, but it is not editable!?!
Mamun Ahsan Khan October 25, 2017

I have the same problem like thomas with Confluence Version 6.1.2.

After saving a page with a local link works fine. After a while the link doesn't wotk, even on the same pc. If i edit this page again, there are no links on this page. It looks like, conflunce checks peiodically all the pages with local links and delete them.

This should be an issue of confluence, cause i use very often a webapplication on firefox with plenty of local links to files on a local network shares. The only thing, i have to do is, change some  security setting in Firefox by editiong the page about:config. More about change setting http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_to_local_pages_do_not_work

Hope someone from altlassian team would help us in this issue.

Regards Khan

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2017

It looks like, conflunce checks peiodically all the pages with local links and delete them.

Please rest assured that Confluence does not have a mechanism that deletes the links.

We have discussed this at length on another thread so please forgive me if I point you back there rather than repeating the same points in my own words: Confluence: How to place a link to a file on a server share in a confluence page?

Mamun Ahsan Khan October 27, 2017

Hi Ann,

i read this thread before.

I would correct my posted comments on this thread about deleting local link periodically. Actually, it is not confluence, but its standard editor.

Standard installation of confluence editor allows inserting local link like file://///gudwindowsserver/share1/Path/file1.pdf . It works also nice, when i change the setting in my browser firefox accordingly. The problem arises, when we edit a page containing   local links. By editing the same page with local links, confluence just delete all these links, so that after saving the page no links in this page work.

Howerver, i have an workaround using a user macro inserting link within confluence Editor, It works. I could find the suggestion from this thread.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFSERVER-26166

Regards Khan

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
October 30, 2017

Thank you for sharing the workaround, I am sure it will help others as there is a lot of attention to this topic.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events