Why Confluence Freezes on Chrome while editing a minute?

Yocelin May 10, 2019

Hi!

I'm kind of new here. Every time I'm editing a Confluence document the screen freezes and I have to force Chrome to close. Recently, I upgraded my iOS to Mojave, before that it was working ok, but now I'm starting to hate Confluence, it has happened every time I try to use it for the whole week.

I hope anyone could give me any clue about what can I do.

26 answers

6 votes
Elio Caroom January 15, 2020

Still happening in January 2020.

Jake Kim February 18, 2021

My teammates are still experiencing this bug too

Syed Ishaq B. May 5, 2021

05 May 2021 :| 

4 votes
Jan Stähle November 27, 2019

Same here - confluence freezes in page editing mode. Happening when deleting placeholder text, switching from narrow to widescreen mode and vice versa and marking text. 

Charlie Pinker November 27, 2019

I've taken to switching to Safari when editing :( 

Like # people like this
Yocelin November 27, 2019

I had to do the same exact thing. :(

Peter Gabriel December 2, 2019

Same here. I can only edit using firefox

Like Jo Wilkes likes this
Ryan Ternier December 4, 2019

Hangs in Chrome and FireFox on my computer when I try to create or copy a COnfluence page.

Negeen Etemad December 10, 2019

Same thing is happening to me. I have the latest chrome. Current workaround I have is to open the page in Safari and do it on there

Like Ankit Rana likes this
Deleted user January 28, 2021

my safari was doing okay, but now both my safari and chrome have the same issue...

Cathy Kugler July 13, 2021

Me too!

3 votes
clint thomas September 24, 2020

For me it was removing the Kaspersky Anti Virus extension that fixed it for me (it was the only extension that I had installed as well). So based on Chris Dowsett's comment and mine, it looks like Kaspersky might be the culprit. Thanks.

Running Mac Os 10.15.6, Chrome - Version 85.0.4183.121 (Official Build) (64-bit)

2 votes
Chris Dowsett August 24, 2020

I had exactly the same issue and was trying everything above. 

Followed the hint above from Goh M & went to Chrome Settings > extensions and switched off all extensions (rather than remove them). This seems to have worked. 

Fyi my extensions were for Kaspersky anti-virus, Google - Calender, Docs offline, Docs, Sheets & Slides. 

Good luck all, I know how frustrating this is!

2 votes
Andy White January 31, 2020

Same issue happening to me repeatedly with Chrome.

I have found a workaround when it freezes in Chrome. Simply copy the URL to a new tab and everything is still in place. Then just close the frozen tab.

It's not an ideal solution but at least you don't lose any work that way!

2 votes
Goh M January 24, 2020

I'm having the same issue. This is extremely frustrating and a major issue.

Anyone from Atlassian seeing this thread??

Goh M May 12, 2020

I solved this on Chrome by removing my browser extensions one by one. I eventually found it was BrowserStack's extension causing the issue. After I removed it, I have never had the issue since.

Note though my other browsers never had the problem. That said, they have very few extensions installed compared to Chrome.

1 vote
Jonathan Yiv February 3, 2021

For me, it was the AdBlock extension.

1 vote
Niranjan Rajendran October 9, 2020

Yep. Looks like removing the Kaspersky chrome extension was the key to solving this. I only had to remove that extension and I stopped facing this issue. 

1 vote
Niranjan Rajendran April 13, 2020

I can confirm that this still happens on Chrome Version 81.0.4044.92 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) on MacOS Catalina. Actions that trigger a freeze/crash

- Editing confluence pages

- Editing Jira comments

Basically, I think anything with a rich text editor causes the freeze.

---

This is also reproducible on 

1. Safari Version 13.1 (15609.1.20.111.8)
  2. Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

---

A very painfully issue and has made confluence/jira pretty much unusable for me. 

Niranjan Rajendran June 14, 2020

Can confirm the issue still exists on Chrome Version 83.0.4103.97 and Chrome Beta version 84.

But surprisingly the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge works fine. 

Like Susan Simon likes this
1 vote
Matt Hodges February 13, 2020

Okay, I had similar issues, especially when trying to edit, copy, or paste text in a cell of a table.  I just updated chrome to version Version 80.0.3987.106 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Things appear to have improved with the newest version of chrome.  I'll report back after using it more.  

0 votes
Karine Lima July 19, 2022

I have to extensions and it is still happening in OS Monterey 12.4 

0 votes
Frank Dutenhöfer October 20, 2021

Same here. I still have this issue with Chrome. Works with Safari. Very frustrating... :-(

0 votes
Jin-Khai Mah August 24, 2021

Once I turn off the Microsoft editor chrome extension, everything back to normal. Hope it will help.

0 votes
Jake Kim July 13, 2021

Try to delete Chrome extensions (AdBlock, Kaspesky, etc) if you have a few. In my case deleting anti-virus Chrome extension solved the issue. 

0 votes
Syed Ishaq B. May 27, 2021

[#] SOLUTION

I have been super frustrated dealing with this issue for over one month now -- a productivity nightmare!

So I did some digging and turns out this Jira/Confluence freeze scenario has little to do with Atlassian but the browser extensions and apps that we have installed.

A way to troubleshoot is to:

1. turn off all extensions and apps in your browser
  2. delete all cookies and cache for all Atlassian products
  3. restart the browser (important)
  4. you should be able to edit now

Now you can cut down to one or two extensions which might be causing this by turning them on one by one and restarting the browser to see the behaviour.

In my case it was the Kaspersky anti-malware browser extension that was causing the freeze on latest versions of Chrome and Safari. I have opened a support case with them and shared all technical details. Hopefully they'll be able to fix this bug so I can turn it back on. Ticket# INC000012856780

Cathy Kugler July 13, 2021

I did all this and I still have issues. Did this fix it for you?

0 votes
tangcalvin August 4, 2020

I am still having the same issue here in August 2020.

Devon Tuck August 12, 2020

Same.  Especially when pasting a flow of text and images.

We were moving some comments from Jira into Confluence in edit page mode when this occured repeatedly. It gives a message about not being connected to the server.

But in reality the process is hanging the internet.  All media stopped, apps froze up even on windows 10.  20 mins later had to reboot.  My internet is NOT limited.

0 votes
Lucy Nersesian July 8, 2020

July 2020 and having this issue, very frustrating

0 votes
Dennis L May 8, 2020

May 2020 and I'm having the issue while editing action items when recording meetings. Very annoying

0 votes
Chris Dzoba February 12, 2020

A couple of our folks are running into this issue as well.  We've just started using Confluence and, while I know its good, it has been a hard sell with a bug this major.

0 votes
Andrew Schadendorff February 12, 2020

I'm running into this issue frequently on Chrome.

Seems to be happening when changing text format to code.

0 votes
Charlie Pinker November 26, 2019

Same. Latest version of Chrome. Wiki constantly crashes while editing.

0 votes
Erica Johnson November 15, 2019

Having the same problem as everyone else, happens mainly when editing in Confluence, or editing ticket descriptions in Jira.

0 votes
Karen Cornell November 15, 2019

This is happening to me too, but only when messing with formatting. Typing a comment on a story, for example, is fine -- but the second I try to use a bullet or numbered list, or code block etc that things break.

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)

0 votes
Kristi Bond September 19, 2019

Same issue here. It only happens when I'm editing, and mainly when I've highlighted text and am attempting to delete. 

Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

0 votes
Marco Marques September 16, 2019

Same issue here!

Version 77.0.3865.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Marco Marques September 21, 2019

Working perfectly with Safari 12 and Safari Version 13.0 (14608.1.49). This issue is related to Google Chrome only.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events