Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which linux distro works best for confluence?

Sean Boran July 1, 2012

Hi,

We've had problems with confluence memory errors and more recently hanging, on and off over the last few years. Traditionally we use Ubuntu, and moving to Maverick/10.10 (and the java delivered with that), provided a stable basis at the end of 2011.

Since then we've had intermittenet problems (hanging, but different errors each time) over receent months, I just wanted to ask (without starting a religous debate) if there are specific Distros/releases that "just work" out of the box for large confluence sites? i.e. perhaps Atlassian test more extensively on specific releases of the well know distros?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dennis Kromhout van der Meer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

We test with various linux distros and it doesn't really matter as long as java runs fine on it. However, the main problem with Ubuntu is the push of having OpenJDK as java by default,. We noticed it's getting increasingly difficult to install Oracle Java instead of OpenJDK on Ubuntu, which can cause problems with out applications. From my personal experience CentOS, Redhat and Ubumtu are the most commonly used distros.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2012

In my experience, it's the one that you are most familiar with.

My clients have run it fine on all sorts - Ubuntu (with the caveat that I agree with Dennis - OpenJDK is a bit of a pain to run, getting worse, and you'll want to install Oracle's ex-Sun Java to save the hassle), RedHat is extremely popular, as is CentOS. Suse, Debian, and Arch are all good servers. I've worked with Mint, Puppy, Scientific and Bohdi as desktops, and hence used them for development work and testing local installs.

I'd recommend sticking to a distro that's aimed more at the server side (Mint for example, is aimed firmly at desktop users and hence installs all sorts of stuff you don't need or want on a server), but the main advice is to run what you're most comfortable with already.

0 votes
Sean Boran July 1, 2012

Thanks for the inputs. Debian and Centos were the alternatives I had in mind.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events