Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which H1 Heading is recognized by a Screen Reader on a Confluence Page with a Table of Contents?

Lea Kivi August 31, 2022

Hello.

I am trying to create a Confluence page that can be used by a screen reader. The page includes a Table of Contents macro.

My understanding is that screen reader-accessible pages should only have one H1 heading on them (I'm not concerned about SEO optimization at this point - just accessibility).

When I 'View Page Source', I see that the logo is wrapped in an H1 heading, as is the page title.

However, the Table of Contents macro does not present either of those H1s. I need to create an H1 heading manually for it to appear in the page's Table of Contents.

Does anyone know whether a screen reader will successfully 'see' the H1 heading I created manually to appear in the Table of Contents, or would the H1 headings associated with the logo and / or page title interfere with such recognition?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Shardul Juyal_Addteq_ September 1, 2022

Hi @Lea Kivi 

I am from Addteq and we have made Unstoppable to increase the accessibility of Confluence

• I see that the logo is wrapped in an H1 heading, as is the page title.
    • This should not be the case. H1 comes in separately as a heading
  • However, the Table of Contents macro does not present either of those H1s.
    • Again Table of contents should create the H1 headers as is. The screenreader should also be able to read the content. 
  • My understanding is that screen reader-accessible pages should only have one H1 heading on them

If you are still facing issues you can reach out to us here

Lea Kivi September 1, 2022

Thank you for your offer of assistance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events