It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Where is the "Continue Numbering" feature?

"Continue Numbering" has been a feature in Word and other editors for ages, and a real thing in numbered lists forever. Where is this feature in Confluence? 

1 answer

0 votes
Diego Atlassian Team Jan 30, 2020

Hello @Allan Brumer ! This is quite a useful request you have at hand. I was able to dig up a request that tackles exactly this:

The only workaround to that is using SHIFT+ENTER instead of only ENTER to break lines. Using SHIFT+ENTER will keep the numbering at the last value used. As soon as we use only ENTER to break a line, the next number will be used. The downside of using SHIFT+ENTER is that the text is now indented.

Here is how it works:

GIF.gif

The best course of action, Alan, would be to vote and watch the report. Voting will help to increase the visibility and watching will keep you up to date with everything posted there.

I hope this clarifies the current situation! Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you @Diego

I did vote on the feature request.

The workaround Shift+enter works well enough when I am only working with text; however, it fails completely when I try; for example, to enter a table in the middle of a section of numbered steps. I have found no good solution to this particular case aside from inserting the table outside the numbered steps.

Additionally, I find it embarrassing to have to explain to end-users that you have to use a cludgy work around (Shift+enter) to use numbering in an application in 2020. This was a 1990s problem and it has been solved.

Diego Atlassian Team Jan 31, 2020

Hello @Allan Brumer . Thanks for keeping this thread alive and being sincere about the repercussion of this within your company.

Also, good to know that the workaround helps you partially. I would also love to have your feedback there, within the report itself. This can help the people responsible for the development of our platform to better understand how and why the lack of any specific feature affects the customers.

Let me know your thoughts!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

Lessons and Learnings: Six Months of Working Remote [Discussion]

Hey there, folks! For most of us, the past six months- yes, you read that right- have been a journey. More people than ever before have pivoted to working remotely, and navigating being on-scre...

8,532 views 6 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you