Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is blog post navigation?

Deborah Cross December 18, 2017

Since the new look and feel for confluence (cloud) our blog posts no longer have breadcrumbs and there is no sort of index page for blog posts. There is not even a next/previous navigation option. 

If someone lands on a blog post they need to know to select the blog icon on the left to see other posts. And you can't click on the year to see a list. Many people are not really up for this 'hidden' form of navigation.

We've resolved the situation in part by manually inserting a blog list macro in the right hand side of every blog post, but there's got to be a better way. This is prone to author mistakes.

Is our navigation broken or is this how it actually works now? It doesn't seem in tune with other blogging interfaces.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2017

Deborah,

In my instance, when I click on a blog post, the navigation automatically appears on the left:

Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 10.00.12 AM.png

This appears to be a similar navigation you would see if you were to make a list of blog posts on the post itself.

You won't be able to click the year but it does organize the posts in order of date.

There is a feature request to separate blog posts by month and year:

In terms of "next" and "previous" links, there are User Macros that can be used to do this, but is not possible in Cloud.

Regards,

Shannon

Deborah Cross December 19, 2017

Thanks Shannon, yes we do of course have that sidebar option, but most of our users have that collapsed and are not used to using it, nor are they technically savvy. In many cases they've been linked to a blog post from elsewhere like an email, the bar is already collapsed and they have absolutely no idea (nor should they) that selecting the strange little quotation mark on the left will show them some navigation to other posts.

I believe that, in any option where the navigation can be collapsed by default, there should be navigation options within the page itself. 

It also prevents us from linking to a blog 'home' or year as was previously available before the look and feel changed. Instead we have to create a listing on a blog post or some other page using the blog macro on it to list all the posts. You can only link to individual blog posts not collections of them. This is not how blogs traditionally work and indeed it used to work properly before the look and feel was 'upgraded'.

Thanks for the link to the feature request - it should be a bug, given that what was present before has been broken. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2017

Thank you, Deborah, for the feedback!

I've created another feature request for the in-line navigation:

You can vote on and comment on this as well with your usage case to help understand the need.

Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events