When restoring a confluence backup to a different machine, it breaks almost everything

Vinko Magecic January 8, 2016

LDAP_failed_login.png

I am restoring a backup of Confluence to a new machine but when I do AD logins no longer work, access to the Marketplace no longer works. Is there a preferred method for migrating the backup to a different machine?

EDIT: Added image of failed login

6 answers

0 votes
Guilherme V.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 11, 2016

Hello Vinko,

I guess this new server have some restrictions because maybe, it's not connecting to your LDAP. I believe it's better to restore the Internal Directory with this article, and then try to resolve the connection problems later. At least, you will be able to login with your internal admin credentials.

0 votes

I see from the link you provided that there is no version compatibility between 5.4, 5.5, and 5.6. What about going from 5.8 to 5.9?

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2016

Additionally the marketplace might work because of external network settings, proxies, web containers, CUSTOMIZATIONS your company has performed that we are unaware of.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2016

If you have a local account you should be able to log in. The marketplace should be error logging in the application log. None of us can help troubleshoot your AD issues without error logging, the screenshot of the "wrong username/password isn't useful because it's not enough information. The application log should tell us more. Again, my assumption is that you haven't whitelisted the new location. The documentation for restoring is backup is here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/site-backup-and-restore-163578.html The BASE URL you should be able to change within the application, I wouldn't change it outside the application. It will complain and some macros might not work but the app should function until you change it in Configuration.

0 votes

I was tasked with trying to figure this problem out. I was not the one who did the restore. Someone restored the backup to a new server. After doing that, he reported that trying to access the Marketplace would say that the Marketplace can't be reached. Similar to the problems outlined here... https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/UPM/Problems+Connecting+to+the+Atlassian+Marketplace But, in order for me to check the settings I need to log in. Trying to do so with my AD account fails (it worked before the restore). So, now I can't access the webapp's configurations. This is why I asked if there is a preferred method to doing a restore to a different server. Off the top of my head, my thought is that when doing a restore it changes the Base URL to the original machine's URL that created the backup. Grepping the xml files will return a few locations where the Base URL is listed. And since checking that the correct Base URL is one of the items to check for in the Link I posted, that seemed like a logical place to start looking.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2016

Please give examples and screenshots of errors, we're flying blind without that information. Are you tailing the logs? You should be. How are you connected to Active Directory? Do you need to whitelist connections? What do you mean marketplace doesn't work?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events