When importing from Word, some graphics don't import.

Deleted user November 16, 2017

I'm experimenting with importing large Word documents to Confluence, and occasionally I see these ? Unknown Attachment messages where graphics are supposed to be. They didn't import, I see this on the Attachments page.

Is it simply because the documents are too big? Is there a way to solve this problem or minimize the occurrence?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Christo Mastoroudes [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017
Deleted user November 18, 2017

Hi Christo,

I checked, and the attachments themselves are definitely not too large, they're like 4 kB, 9 kB.

Is it possible that in a single Word import, the total size of all the attachments cannot be above a certain limit?

I'm uploading hundreds of small attachments in the same Word import. Let's say 5% of the attachments fail to upload, and I can't see any reason why necessarily those.

Any ideas?

Christo Mastoroudes [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2017

Sorry I don't have any fast answer, but suggestions.

-You ask a good question and you should test it.

-Investiage the confluence logs to see if the reason is stated there.

-Read the Atlassian documentation with regards to the Office Connector and see if anything stands out. https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/office-connector-limitations-and-known-issues-170492994.html

-I would import the same document twice and see if exactly the same images experience the problem.

If it is reproducible then I would further inspect the problematic images, perhaps the source and how they were added to Word to begin with. Then compare them to the ones that are importing fine, to see if there is anything that stands out as a cause. Check things like original file size, image type and file name.

I would also then try importing just one problematic image in a word doc by itself to see if it is indeed just the image. This eliminates anything else that could be interfering. Hopefully at this point you would have spot some workaround or fix.

If it is random then it is much harder and perhaps a hardware issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events