When editing a document with word - how does collaboration work

JoAnn Sausnock October 19, 2018

How can more than one person work on a document (word doc attachment) simultaneously?  I expected the system to tell me our updates would be merged - but instead it created a version with user1 updates and a separate version with user2 updates.  I could use Word to combine the versions and upload the resulting document; which has a different name; but given the wonders of working within atlassian pages - I expected a more seamless interface.  Am I missing something?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2018

Word doesn't support collaborative editing or merges, so you're a bit stuck.

A better option is to import the docs and use them as pages so you can take advantage of the functions in Confluence.

Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2018

I agree, ditch Word (is only good for writing letters home to grandma) and use the power of Confluence.

0 votes
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2018

Hi @JoAnn Sausnock,

As Nic and Bill mentioned, importing your Word files into Confluence and work collaboratively in Confluence might be something worth looking into.

If you still need to create Word files off this collaboratively created content, you could have a look at our Scroll Word Exporter, which allows you to export your Confluence content into native MS Word files. Using Scroll Word Exporter you can combine both worlds: Collaboration in Confluence, but still create Word files that match your companies design.

We're having a webinar about Scroll Word Exporter today and tomorrow, if you're interested, please feel free to register here.

If you have any questions, or want to discuss your use case more in detail, please reach out to us via support@k15t.com.

Cheers,
Nils

0 votes
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2018

Hi JoAnn,

what you're looking for is Sharepoint. There you can stay with Word documents & collaborate on them. With Confluence you collaborate on Confluence pages & if needed export them to Word. There are addons allowing a Sharepoint / Confluence integration in the Atlassian marketplace.

Best

JP

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2018

Ahh, Sharepoint, where documents go to die... ;-)

Like Michal Patoprsty likes this
Bill Bailey
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2018

Sharepoint, the solution for the year 2000!

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2018

If you wanna collaborate on word documents, that's the way to go... ;-)

Like Alexander Naula likes this
Alexander Naula
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 18, 2021

Yup - SP online works well for editing any Office file type

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2021

Shame no-one ever reads them again ;-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events