When I share our public space to non-confluence user, the user is still being asked to login.

Dhelle July 18, 2018

Hi,

I already followed the solution in the link below, but when I share the link to non-confluence user, the user is still being asked to login to Atlassian.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-give-non-confluence-users-access-to-a-space-779166002.html

3 answers

0 votes
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2018

Hello @Dhelle,

Does it work if your Jira users log out from Jira? I think you're impacted by these bugs:

Hope this helps!

- Manon

Dhelle July 19, 2018

Hi Manon,

No, it does not work.  They need to login first for them to view our wiki page. 

I will check the link that you provided. 

Thanks so much for your time and help. :-)

Del

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 19, 2018

Hmm I'm not sure to understand, since they don't have any Confluence license they can't log in to Confluence? So where do they login to view the page? 

Dhelle July 19, 2018

They don't need to log in to view our confluence wiki page.  This is what we are trying to set up.  We want public or anonymous users without logging in to confluence to view our online users guide.  Here is our user's guide link ->  https://sitebook.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SMAUG/overview

We already set-up global and space permissions to allow anonymous users to view our wiki page even if they don't have a login or license.  But every time they click the link above, they are still being asked to login.  

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

Oh ok, I was confused, thanks for clarifying! So I made a few tests and I can successfully access to these pages:

Are you sure you didn't check "SiteBook Mobile" permissions instead of "SiteBook Mobile Application User Guide" ones?

Is there any restriction (see doc) on https://sitebook.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SMAUG/overview?

Dhelle July 19, 2018

ok, did you login to Confluence? Can you please share a screenshot? :-) I will try to check also the permission of SiteBook Mobile as well.   Thanks!

Dhelle July 19, 2018

SiteBook Mobile space setting is already set to "View" for anonymous users as well and not only SiteBook user guide.  Can you view the page without logging in to Confluence? 

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.26.18 PM.png

Dhelle July 19, 2018

Can you also view this link without logging in to confluence?  

https://sitebook.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SMAUG/overview

That is our wiki page that we want to share to public that do not have login id or confluence license.  

Thanks,

Del

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

I'm logged with my personal account so I'm just logged in Atlassian but not in your Confluence site :) I can see your SiteBook Mobile homepage ("Getting started") but not the SMAUG one, when I go to  https://sitebook.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SMAUG/overview I get:

Your email address xxx@xxx.com doesn't have access to sitebook.atlassian.net

We've all got more than one email address these days - are you using the right one?

Could you please share:

• a screenshot of your SMAUG permissions, just like the one you posted for the SM space, so that we can see both permissions + the space name?
  • a screenshot of the SMAUG homepage so that we can check restrictions?

If everything's ok, I think the next step will be for you to contact Atlassian support.

Dhelle July 19, 2018

That's why you were able to see it because you have a login id or account in confluence.  Our concern is those who do not have login id or account in confluence.  How will they access or view our wiki page. 

The message that you got is what we want to avoid when public users access our wiki page.  They don't need to have a login id or account for them to view our wiki page.  :-)

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 19, 2018

That's actually not related, since I don't have any account in your Confluence site :) when you say "you have a login id or account in Confluence", this is wrong: I have an Atlassian account but I'm not declared in your Confluence. If you try to access your Confluence in a private tab (so not logged in any Atlassian account), you'll see you can access your SM home page but not the SMAUG one (you'll get a "Log in to your account" message instead).

We can't investigate further without screenshots, so I'd suggest you to contact Atlassian support

Dhelle July 19, 2018

sorry, I think you misunderstood me.. Let me simplify my question.

How can an anonymous user view our wiki page?  The user is a non-confluence user, no confluence account, totally just a public user who don't have any knowledge in confluence.  Just consider as an example, a public website that anyone can view.  

Again, how do we avoid "Log in to your account" message when a public or anonymous user wants to see our wiki page? 

Please see also the screenshot I provided above regarding the global and space permission.  Please back read.  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.14.57 PM.png

Dhelle July 19, 2018

I will also contact Atlassian support now. Thanks for your suggestion. 

Daniel Palko October 5, 2018

Hi Del,

did you get any respond from Atlassian support?

We deal with the same question.

Thanks.

Danny.

Dhelle October 7, 2018

Hi Danny,

No did not get any helpful response from support team.

Still an outstanding issue.

Thanks,

Del

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2018

Hey Del,

Just looking to understand more about what issue you are facing. I read through your support ticket and it looks like the default page in your Confluence instance was restricted. Once that restriction was removed, anonymous users no longer got the login prompt. I was able to view your page as an anonymous user in an incognito window:

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 1.20.01 PM.png

As for the other requests in your support ticket (customizations to what Confluence looks like for anonymous users), looks like the the support engineer working your case linked to a few feature requests:

Are you still seeing some issues with anonymous users that we can help track down?

@Daniel Palko as for what you're seeing - so far unlinked on this thread is CONFSERVER-30161 which we see pretty regularly. Basically if you've got Jira Service Desk and customers are logged in to the portal, they won't be able to access anonymous content in Confluence. That may be something to look in to if you have Jira Service Desk. Otherwise we'd be happy to try and help (in a new question would be best!)

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Deleted user July 19, 2018

Hi @Dhelle,

There is similar documentation for the set up of public access for your Confluence cloud instance. 

From your previous comments I can only assume you are also using Jira Software but not Jira Service Desk. Is that correct? 

Are there any other Atlassian products that you are using?

Hopefully your answers will assist @Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems] and myself to discover the source of your issue. :) 

Thanks

Dhelle July 19, 2018

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the response.  Greatly appreciate it!  Yes, we are only using JIra and not Jira service desk.  We are only using JIRA to log issues and Confluence for our user guides.  I already followed the steps provided in the documentation that you shared but when a non-confluence user tried accessing our wiki page, he was still asked to login. He does not have any confluence account. 

Regards,

Del

Thanks for details @Dhelle,

Could you screenshot the space's permissions and Confluence's global permissions set up if possible?

Confluence Administrator Panel > Global Permissions

I just want to confirm both levels of permissions have been set correctly. 

Thanks

Dhelle July 19, 2018

sure. here are the screenshots - space and global permissions. Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.08.28 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.08.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-19 at 4.07.40 PM.png

This all looks good to me. 

What I will do is give a shout out to the other Champions and see if they can offer more insights into your issue. 

Dhelle July 19, 2018

Thank you so much for your help..

This is what we want the public users without login see when we provide this link -> https://sitebook.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SMAUG/overview

My boss also wants to remove the left navigation bar so that public users will not see it as well including page settings.  

Thanks so much in advance!!! :-)

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.48.02 AM.png

Del,

In your service desk, under Knowledge base, do you've the first option selected? Please see attached image.

Victor

Dhelle July 18, 2018

how do I go to confluence service desk?  Thanks!

Dhelle July 18, 2018

I don't see service desk -> knowledge base in our confluence. How do I go there? Please advise. 

Dhelle July 18, 2018

Also, do we need to have service desk? we are using Jira to log tickets only.  Is that also the service desk? Sorry, I'm new to Confluence.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Dhelle July 18, 2018

I am also sending a screenshot of what I have in my JIRA dashboard.  I added the confluence pages to Jira. Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 2.12.16 PM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events