Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was wrong with the old create button?

Deleted user August 25, 2016

(This isn't a real question, more of a rant). 

I've been using Confluence for a long time (since v3.1 actually). There's always been a Create button. You click it, it launches a dialog, you choose a template, it creates a page. 

But now, in v5.10, there's a NEW button – an unlabelled "create from template". 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/create-a-page-from-a-template-296093793.html

Why make this pointless change? Is 3 clicks really too many to create a page? 

And as a bonus we now have TWO menus unlabelled in the same way on the same screen. So I anticipate the fun of telling people "no, don't use the 'three dot menu' next to the Create button, use the one at the far RIGHT of the screen" for more page actions. 

OK, I admit that I'm old and set in my ways and I will (probably) eventually stop clicking the Create button, realising it's just spawned a blank, being annoyed, cancelling the new page, and then clicking the "Three dot button". 

But why should I need to? It's yet another example of Atlassian doing pointless things for no particular reason, when they could be fixing things that actually damage pages.  Like that stupid error that jumps the cursor to the top of the screen if you dare to highlight text the "wrong" way.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2016

Kathleen, i agree with you but would like to push it further. Noone asked for this change, it's just a simple change that makes the interface look a bit different, saves everyone a click and might bring in a handful of new customers. I would rather have seen that this time was spent on fixing any of the countless bugs we are helping each other to resolve in workarounds every day, but once more, that's not where the money is in. I can only quote Atlassian on this one: "JIRA - Because YOU have issues" wink

0 votes
Dan Crosby July 11, 2020

For me - looking on the right side of the screen after creating a blank page for the template was not intuitive, and it took me several times of searching the documentation before I found this article and figured out what was going on.   Now that I know it's easy - but was it worth the frustration of not being able to find this and wondering why the screen didn't match the documentation and training I was using - definitely not.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events