What was the first version of confluence to support REST?

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2015

Hi,

I have been trying to make REST requests using Confluence 4.3.1. They all fail with 'Page not found', however, if I make the same request against confluence.atlassian.com, the request is sucessful.

Just wondering if 4.3.1 supported REST, or am I missing something else.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

From memory, a REST prototype came in 3.2 or 3.3, then when they decided to do it properly (because the prototype basically worked), it was enabled properly in 5.something.  The URLs changed though, so stuff you see documented for 5 won't work for lower versions, as the endpoints are wrong.

I think you need https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF53/Prototype+REST+API as a starting point.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2015

The prototype version is read-only, so if you want to do any write operations, you'll have to use the XML-RPC/JSON-RPC methods. The new REST API (with POST/PUT/DELETE) was implemented in Confluence 5.5.

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2015

So it is possible to do write operations in 4.3.1?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2015

No, because the prototype, as Stephen said, is read only.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2015

But it is possible to do write operations, it's just that you have to use the different API (RPC). Please let me know what you are trying to do and in which language.

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2015

Thanks Stephen, I am using XSLT to convert XML to Confluence Markup and the I want to add the markup to Confluence using RPC. I am trying to do this in Java.

Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2015
John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2015

Thank you Stephen!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events