What to do about the error message "You can't sort a table with merged cell"

Mihai Codoban October 10, 2022

I have a table without any merged cells (as far as I can tell), yet when I want to sort it I get an error popup message saying "You can't sort a table with merged cell" . How can I find out which cells are merged? Is this a Confluence bug?

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 10.25.45 AM.png

3 answers

0 votes
Ron Johnson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 20, 2024

I was able to get this to work by deleting the Header Row and then adding a new row. I copied the header text for each column and placed it in notepad. Then put that text into the top of each column then went to Cell Options and made that row the Header Row and it worked perfect!

0 votes
Paul O_Shaughnessy November 15, 2022

I think the message is misleading.  When I click to sort on table headers I get:

A-Z sort

Clicking a second time, I get

Z-A sort

Clicking a third time, I get the "Can't sort with merged cell" message.  What actually happens on the third click is that the table is returned to the default sort.

However, it does look like there is a sort bug on strings from my experience.  It looks like sorting only applies to the first word in a string

See: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-73756

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2022

@Mihai Codoban Your table must have a merged cell somewhere in the table.  If you can not easily see where it is you would have to view the table in edit mode, click on each cell option until you see split cell and that is your merged cell. 

If you can not easily see where it is

Is there a way one can easily see where it is?

> you would have to view the table in edit mode, click on each cell option

What if there's ~80 cells? Surely this can't be the intentionally designed experience :)

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2022

@Mihai Codoban It is usually a couple of columns that were combined.  I would suggest just looking at the ones on the top if you do not visually see cells that are actually combined.

Clicked all the cells, none has "split cell" enabled.

Like Lonnie likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

@Mihai Codoban you can submit a support issue to Atlassian and have them take a look https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Lonnie December 20, 2022

We encounter the same issue. When we examine the underlying HTML of the table, there are no <tr> elements with rowspan or colspan set to any value other than "1".

There is no indication of a merged cell throughout the table.

Nevertheless, as the reader/viewer clicks the sorting icon, the page will complain "You can't sort a table with merged cell" once each cycle through the choices.

Like Mihai Codoban likes this
Lonnie December 20, 2022

The sorter seems to do a poor job with numeric fields (which have been intentionally crafted to be sortable by typical alpha-numeric sorting libraries).

For example, "2023-03-15" should come before "2023-05-15" in an ascending sort. It does not.

Overall, the order appears to be more of jumble than a sort - regardless of which sort option is clicked (up, down, or none).

Like Petr Bartos likes this
Petr Bartos January 13, 2023

same issue here. can be replicated just by creating new table 2x2 (heading: IP adresses, comment) and trying to sort values there

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events