I had a failure and now I'm trying to restore Confluence to another server. I did a fresh install of the version I was running (5.7) and restored the database from a date before the crash. I modified the confluence.cfg.xml file to point to the database. When I access localhost:8090 it tries to do the setup, asking for the license and stuff.
So, I then copied a backup of the entire /confluence and /application data/confluence folders to the new install location. The same thing still happens.
How can I tell it not to do the setup? What is the simplest way to just restore an installation? I am so confused.
The file confluence.cfg.xml contains a few details that tells Confluence whether this is or not a new installation.
There are a few ways to roll the instance back, but follow two paths you can take:
- If you have a backup copy from your Database, Confluence Installation Folder and Confluence Home Directory:
- Shut your Confluence down
- Restore the database backup on your Confluence's database, replacing the current one
- Restore the Confluence Home Directory, replacing the current one
- Restore the Confluence Install Folder, also replacing the current one
- Start your Confluence again from the Confluence Install Folder you've restored
- In case you have only the database backup copy, this guide describes the steps to follow.
You need to make sure that the confluence-init.properties file is correctly pointing to this new home directory, thus Confluence will find the confluence.cfg.xml file and you should be able to start the restored instance.
This file is located under <confluence-install>/confluence/WEB-INF/classes/confluence-init.properties.
I hope it helps,
So here is what finally worked:
It seems really obvious but it's not what the docs say... I also don't understand why restoring the folders and database exactly as they were gave me so many fits. Either way, it's working and the steps above are simple and seem to work if you follow them exactly.
Do you use templates with Confluence? Take part in a remote 1-hr workshop. You'll receive USD $100 for your time! We're looking for people to participate in a remote 1-hr workshop...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs