What's the best way to manage plugins in Confluence ?

Whilst I really like the concept of an open marketplace for plugins providing functionality, once you have decided upon a set of plugins for a production implementation you really don't want to change them.

In a properly managed production environment it would be prudent to have a failover server which should be identical in configuration (incl plugins) so that the failover is as simple as possible.

Furthermore, in a properly managed environment you would also have test and development servers to enable the development of content, procedures and the like.

So, my question is this..

Does there exist a mechanism or strategy for the managing of plugins to enable the swift building of a dev/test server so that it is identical in configuration without having to MANUALLY install all the plugins one by one ?

The reason I ask is that I am faced with this task regularly when creating/destroying test VM's and it is really beginning to annoy me !

Thanks for any input ;-)

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

There is no easy way! You will have to follow the below documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Migrating+Confluence+Between+Servers

If you read between the lines, there are 4 major steps:

1. Get a backup of Production DB

2. Get a zip/tar of Production JIRA installation and Home directories and move them to Test server

3. Point the Test JIRA to the DB in stpe 1 before you start it up

4. Do a reindexing

Thanks for your answer, but I already figured that out for myself.

Strikes me that this kind of thing shows the immaturity of Confluence and Atlassian themselves at the concept of grown-up enterprise mission critical systems management.

Ideally I'd want to be able to take a nightly export and apply it every day to a cold-failover machine using a set of automated scripts so that automated failover could occur without the need to employ a cluster and only incur the cost of a 24 hour maximum data loss.

Maybe it'll come soon - I hope so.

Maybe it'll come soon - I hope so.

Me too! They are a company that concentrate more on product features, which is a good thing for users.

However, they are making lot of admin improvements recently - an upgrade tool is just one of them. More will follow I think.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Oct 11, 2018 in Confluence

What are your project planning tips?

Hello Community,  Jessica here from the Confluence product marketing team! Today I wanted to get your takes on project planning –– what works, what doesn’t, how do you know if you’re doing it r...

212 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you