What's the best way to create a Confluence page and then pass in information from a Jira issue?

Alexis Evans August 8, 2022

Using Python, I want to either create a new Confluence page, or clone an existing "template" page. Then, I want to get a Jira issue, take some information from it, and then pass that information into the Confluence page. Any tips?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Damian August 8, 2022

Hey @Alexis Evans 

Not sure if this may be suitable but you could also do it from Jira via an Automation rule. I remember saving a post on it:

Automating the creation of a Confluence page linked to Jira 

I haven't done it myself but I have used the REST APIs to do a lot of that:

Alexis Evans August 9, 2022

Thanks for the links! I was wondering about the APIs, but also whether the Automation rules would cover the functionality I need. That would minimize the code needed, and probably be a more straightforward path.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

Hello @Alexis Evans 

Have you reviewed the functionality available through the APIs for each product?

Are you trying to work with the REST API for each product, or with the atlassian-python-api PyPI package?

Do you want the Jira information on the Confluence page to be static, or do you want a live link to the Jira issue?

Are you using Cloud product or on-prem/self-hosted products?

Alexis Evans August 9, 2022

I have looked a little bit into the atlassian-python-api, not so much into the product-specific ones, but good to know they exist! I think having the Jira information on the Confluence page update live as the issue is updated might be nice. Do you know whether the APIs would have any functionality that just using Jira Automation rules wouldn't provide?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

I have not worked through trying to automatically create a Confuence page through Jira Automation or the APIs.

I did just find this article that talks about creating a page through Jira Automation and adding content to it to display a single Jira issue. Perhaps that will be useful to you.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automating-the-creation-of-a-Confluence-page-linked-to-a-Jira/ba-p/1760738

(credit to @Esther Strom )

Like Alexis Evans likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events