What is the status of the Universal Wiki Convertor?

Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 17, 2012

The Universal Wiki Convertor is a great tool in easing the pain of migrating wikis to Confluence and saved me lots of hours in the past. Currently, the page states the following:

This project is undergoing an update, and will be evolving during Q1 2012. Your patience while under construction, please.

Since we have arrived in Q2 2012, I was wondering what the status of this update is. Do we have to keep a Confluence 3.X ready for migrating wikis or is it possible to use Confluence 4.X directly as a target? Is there a rough estimation of a possible release date?

Thnx!

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

The 4.3.2 version was released in early Oct - sorry this thread missed the update.

Here's the DIY documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Importing+Content+from+Another+Wiki

If you need additional helps or expertise - we're happy to help you..

Best,

Ellen
ellen@appfusions.com

3 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2012

The UWC update for Confluence 4.2.X is now officially underway ...

Couple dev days into it >> Magic eight ball says: prognosis looks positive, for release in Sept.

Will update when released.. in mid/late Sept 2012.

Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

And it works great! Thnx Ellen and team!

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2012

Thanks Tom! Nice to hear!

That'd be credits to Miss Laura Kolker - whose knee deep in it, with a big hairy merge/migration roll-out next week in fact -

(Assuming that Miss Hurricane Sandy does not interfere with the final tests tomorrow!)

3 votes
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2012

Hi Tom,

We at Atlassian are currently discussing with AppFusions (who are the current "champions" of the UWC :-) ) how we can get some direct Atlassian involvement in getting the UWC up and running with Confluence 4 and, going forwards, keeping the thing working.

We are in agreement that this is the best way forward for the future of the wiki converter and now we're in the process of allocating some development resources to this project.

No ETAs or promises at this stage, but rest assured we're aware of the current bug-bears with the UWC situation and know we need to address them.

Cheers!

Joe

Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2012

bugbears! LOL! Nice word - love it!

0 votes
Hauns Froehlingsdorf June 6, 2013

We are running Confluence 5.0, which was released in February 2013 (it is now June). Any idea when the UWC will catch up? Has anybody used UWC successfully with Confluence 5?

Moriah Chandler
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

I have managed to pull pages in to Confluence 5.1 (exported from Mediawiki using the UWC) with links that work and attachments included. It has taken quite a bit of messing around with the properties files and they still aren't perfect (for example, h1 headings aren't recognized at the moment), but its better than nothing.

I will add the caveat: it takes a LONG time to convert a single page.... the page itself will convert quickly (in seconds) - it is the attachments that take forever (like 5 minutes or more). So, given we have 6000 pages with attachments, I only got to 20% over the course of 4 days...leaving it running full time. I cancelled that attempt and am trying to figure out how to speed it up. I will try flattening the attachments folder next (it is a thousands of nested folders at the moment).

0 votes
Nick Bailey August 13, 2012

Hiya - it's been 2 months since the last (sarcastic) post - any news on the new version of the converter?

Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 13, 2012

I am wondering that too - it's now 4 weeks until our year of maintenance runs out for confluence and we haven't been able to import our old wiki yet. I don't think we'll renew :(

0 votes
Robert Marquez June 10, 2012

I am looking for a newer version as the last version is not working while trying to migrate from mediawiki 1.19 to confluence (latest as of June 2012). It keeps saying it can't access the database when everything in the exporter.mediawiki.properties is correct.

Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2012

Hi Robert,

you might want to make a question from your comment so we can help :-)

I encountered this error during few migrations, turned out to be firewall problems. Are you running the UWC on the same server as the MediaWiki installation?

Regards,

Tom

0 votes
Nick Bailey May 24, 2012

Wonderinng if there was any update since April 18th?

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012

An update would be really useful. I started a Confluence evaluation just a couple of days ago and it's a real pain to have to install Confluence v3.5.13 in order to test import from Trac (0.11.4) and then have to perform an upgrade to Confluence v4.2.x. And do it all within the evaluation period, whilst following a tight change control process, *and* still giving decision makers enough time to look at the finished product.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events