Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the process to keep pages up to date?

Mark Mendoza July 31, 2020

I'm trying to come up with a process or a workflow to audit all the pages in a segment of my work space and keep them valid or archive them. 

If my work space consisted of four main pages, I only want to set up and manage the fourth page and it's sub-pages.

1. Main Page 1
  2. Main Page 2
  3. Main Page 3
  4. Main Page 3
    1. Sub Page 4.1
      1. Sub Page 4.1.1
    2. Sub Page 4.2
    3. Sub Page 4.3

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2020

Hi @Mark Mendoza 

Depending on your host type - you could:

Search:

• Go to the advanced search page (in Cloud, this is via the quick search bar)
  • On the right-hand side - locate "Last Modified" and select a date range - for example, select custom and look for all items modified up to 31/12/2019.
  • Refine the search - you could filter for just pages (via the "Type" field) - you could also search within a specific page tree (i.e pages under "Main Page 4") or if it's multiple pages in lots of trees, I'd suggest adding a label to each page such as "Content_Check" and searching via the label.

^ This way, you can search for when pages were last modified and archive them if they're not being regularly updated.

-----------------

Extend / Apps:

If you're looking for more advanced analytics - such as page views or similar, I'd suggest using an app or upgrade o help manage your content. For example:

• Confluence Cloud Premium: If you're using Confluence Cloud Standard, upgrade to Premium. Premium includes analytics on how your pages / spaces are performing. See more on this page.
  • Scriptrunner: This is an application which - amongst other functions - allows you to schedule jobs to look for old content (in Server version) or add a comment to old pages (in Cloud version). Check out what each hosting type can do on this page
  • Better Content Archiving: This app (which is Server/DC only) allows you to set archive dates for content, check for unused pages, etc
  • Auto-Archive: This app (which is for Cloud only) allows you to track and automatically archive outdated content
  • Page View Analytics: This app (which is for Cloud only) displays page view analytics

-----------------

Once you locate the pages to archive, it's up to you what you do with them - you could utilise one of the app's approaches above, check out this page - Confluence: Archiving Content - for inspiration, or if you're using Confluence Cloud, check out the beta page on Archiving Pages.

^ Lots of choices, depending on your host type and your need :)

Ste

Mark Mendoza August 4, 2020

I'm really looking for is for someone to help me set up a "Content Review Workflow", can anyone help with this request?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2020

Hi @Mark Mendoza 

What are you looking to achieve with the "Content Review Workflow"?

Ste

Mark Mendoza August 5, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I'm trying set up a repeatable process to keep all of MC SRE confluence pages current: https://confluence.internal.salesforce.com/display/SR/MC+Site+Reliability

From my research, I think the best way to go about it would be to set up Content Review Workflow.

• Set all the pages to expired and Needs Reviewed for an audit.
    • Assign a handful of pages out to each MC SRE for review.
      • They validate or update the page and set the page to Requires Approval or Obsolete
  • Then we create criteria to automatically set pages to Needs Reviewed
    • Example: After 90 days and 0 views, the page is set to Needs Reviewed

Does this help you understand what I'm trying to accomplish? If not, would you like to set up a quick meeting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Mendoza

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2020

Hi @Mark Mendoza 

These options aren't native to Confluence - you'd need an app to extend the functionality of your site to allow for content review workflows.

There are lots of options on the Marketplace - some of those I provided links to above :)

Ste

2 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 5, 2020

Mark, what you've outlined in the other thread can be implemented with the Better Content Archiving app.

Hints:

• If you want lifecycle tracking only on the 4th main page, then exclude the first 3 from the game.
  • Reviewers can confirm a page, which means that although it is expired and was found as a candidate for an update, it is still actually valid.
  • See the "page not viewed for N days" trigger in the archiving configuration.

(Discl. I'm a developer working on this paid and supported app.)

configuration-space

1 vote
Frank Lippes September 9, 2021

If you use Confleunce cloud, I created a free macro that you can add to a page that lists the  top most outdated pages. It has settings to tweak it to your needs:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1226276/keep-it-up-to-date?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Amanda Rae March 6, 2023

@Frank Lippes This is super resourceful for our team. The only caveat is that we are not able to filter in only specific labels. 
I see there is an option to exclude labels but not pull in specific labels. 
Do you know of another way to do this? 

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2023

Hi @Amanda Rae ,

Thank you for your question.  I'll check if this is possible, and will report back to you if we can update Keep it up to date!

Like Amanda Rae likes this
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

Hi @Amanda Rae ,

We've updated Keep it up to date! with the option to include required labels.  The update is currently rolling out, and should be available within 48h for your Confluence instance.

Let us know if you have any other feature request, we like to help.

1 vote
James Conway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

Hi @Mark Mendoza ,

As @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  mentioned, there are many apps on the Marketplace that could support your use case. One option could be Comala Document Control or Comala Document Management. Both come with a preconfigured 'Content Expiry Workflow' that may meet your requirements. 

Both apps are available on the Marketplace and you can try them for free for 30 days. If you have any questions please let me know here or contact our support team through https://support.comalatech.com/

Kind regards

James
Senior Product Manager at Comalatech

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events