What is the largest single table a confluence page can practically support?

Mark_Booth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

I am trying to add new rows to a 5 column table which already has 1500 rows, but every time I click on add new row, the script becomes unresponsive and I have to cancel out of the operation.

What is the practical limit on how many rows/cells a single confluence table can support?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

I don't think 1500 is that great a number. I'd double invert the question by asking what's the maximum number of rows a user can handle in Excel? 1500 doesn't seem like a lot.

It depends on your browser... if you've having problems you're probably using IE. Maybe you could use the excel to table macro... there are also a couple of nifty macros that let you do table auto-filtering and sorting.

Mark_Booth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2012

Nope, Firefox here. Both FF 10 and FF 11 have the same problem. IE 8 won't even let me try to add a row to the table. There's an unresponsive script warning as soon as you click Edit, you end up with a tiny scrollable pane for editing in and when you click inside a table, the table commands don't appear. On the plus side, Chrome does appear to work, but with a wide table, you end up with a horizontal scrolling edit window (yeuch!).

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2012

Sounds like the js could do with some profiling. That being the case I'd take a look at the excel to table options, that way you don't need to edit the page at all.

1 vote
David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2012

1500 rows? Really? To what end? I'd invert the question and ask realistically, whether my users can manage a table with that many rows in it on a webpage.

Do your users a favour, if there is a way of breaking the table down into smaller usable chunks, do it. Just think what the rendering time of such a table would be on a mobile device.

Mark_Booth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2012

The table was perfectly usable with the old wiki markup editor, it's only the fact that the new wysiwyg editor gets it's knickers in a twist that it's become a problem. Sure such a large table is difficult to manage, but managing that amount of information is difficult however you do it! As to why I don't want to break it down into multiple tables - it's because I want the columns to all line up!

Like Anneke Grant likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events