What is the largest single table a confluence page can practically support?

I am trying to add new rows to a 5 column table which already has 1500 rows, but every time I click on add new row, the script becomes unresponsive and I have to cancel out of the operation.

What is the practical limit on how many rows/cells a single confluence table can support?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

I don't think 1500 is that great a number. I'd double invert the question by asking what's the maximum number of rows a user can handle in Excel? 1500 doesn't seem like a lot.

It depends on your browser... if you've having problems you're probably using IE. Maybe you could use the excel to table macro... there are also a couple of nifty macros that let you do table auto-filtering and sorting.

Nope, Firefox here. Both FF 10 and FF 11 have the same problem. IE 8 won't even let me try to add a row to the table. There's an unresponsive script warning as soon as you click Edit, you end up with a tiny scrollable pane for editing in and when you click inside a table, the table commands don't appear. On the plus side, Chrome does appear to work, but with a wide table, you end up with a horizontal scrolling edit window (yeuch!).

Sounds like the js could do with some profiling. That being the case I'd take a look at the excel to table options, that way you don't need to edit the page at all.

1 vote
David Simpson Community Champion Feb 26, 2012

1500 rows? Really? To what end? I'd invert the question and ask realistically, whether my users can manage a table with that many rows in it on a webpage.

Do your users a favour, if there is a way of breaking the table down into smaller usable chunks, do it. Just think what the rendering time of such a table would be on a mobile device.

The table was perfectly usable with the old wiki markup editor, it's only the fact that the new wysiwyg editor gets it's knickers in a twist that it's become a problem. Sure such a large table is difficult to manage, but managing that amount of information is difficult however you do it! As to why I don't want to break it down into multiple tables - it's because I want the columns to all line up!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jul 10, 2018 in Confluence

We want to see the templates you've created in Confluence!

Hi Community, Jessica here from the Confluence Product Marketing team!  July’s community challenge is all about sharing pictures  — and as an extension of our first post on what ...

861 views 23 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you